Host crashing (according to gui) daily

Nitsua

Sep 18, 2017
I have installed and reinstalled the latest community Proxmox (added sources and updated through apt as well). I tried different OS drives but it seems everything I do results in the node coming offline (according to the gui). The host itself seems to keep running fine just the monitoring is longer available. Any ideas?

Relevant Hardware is:
Mobo - Z9PE-16 2/L
Memory - 4 x Samsung 16gb 1600mhz ECC Reg
Drives - 22 X (mixed) WD Red NAS + Seagate 3TB
OS Drive - Sandisk SSD Ultra 2 120GB
CPU - 2 X Xeon E5-2680 2.7 SP0K

**Bonus Round Problem** How do I pass a folder mounted on host into VM without crashing the host (setup 9p Virtio - seems to wreak havoc).

Thanks and forgive my newness (sp?) to the platform.

The host itself seems to keep running fine just the monitoring is longer available
what exactly do you mean by this? what monitoring?

How do I pass a folder mounted on host into VM without crashing the host (setup 9p Virtio - seems to wreak havoc).
best to use something like nfs/smb

Reactions: Nitsua
Thanks for the response. Awesome to see the community here.

Turns out that I had a failing SATA expander card that was doing some really weird stuff as it died.

Dang I was kind of hoping to not mount through NFS. Just out of curiosity do you know if Proxmox runs on a full version of Debian; or is pieces removed to make it smaller and lighter? Wondering cause I am thinking about running docker outside of a VM. Thanks

proxmox is a full debian, you can do everything which you can do on a plain debian (with the exception of some packages which conflict with ours , e.g. libvirt)

Reactions: Nitsua

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!