[SOLVED] Host crashed after removing NVMe disk

fips

Renowned Member
May 5, 2014
Hey,
I have an HPE DL380 Gen10 with an NVMe active backplane and NVMe storage controller with 2x 3,84T and freshly installed Proxmox 7.4.
If I remove 1 of these NVMe disk, the server reboots after 2-3 seconds.
I did the same test with the boot disks (2x 500GB SATA SSDs ZFS Mirror) which are connected in another box through the P440 HBA Controller and the server is running happily.

Do I need to configure proxmox for NVMe hot swap?
Of course I don't want always to shut down the whole server if I have to replace a disk

Thanks

Stefan

Adding or removing PCIe devices (like NVMe) can change the PCI ID of other PCI(e) devices. If you use PCI(e) passthrough, this can cause all kinds of problems. Also the network device name is often based on the PCI ID of the network controller, which can change and break networking.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!