Host Backup Server as VM on Proxmox VE

tristan.fhn

Apr 5, 2023
Dear community,
I got a quick question. Is it a valid idea to host the Proxmox Backup Server as a VM on the ProxmoxVE that it is supposed to back up? Of course, the Backup Server is backing up on an external NFS Storage, so the Backups are physically seperated from the Proxmox VE. But my thought was. What happened if the Proxmox Backup Server should (for some reason) be irretrievable broken. So the backups are still safe, but the PBS instance is broken. What credentials/encryption keys etc. do I need to setup a new PBS instance, that can access/restore the backups on the NFS drive?

Thank you very much in advance
Tristan

the backups are safe. shutdown the PBS VM and back it from Proxmox host, not thro PBS. just restore that & you;re good to go

the backups are safe. shutdown the PBS VM and back it from Proxmox host, not thro PBS. just restore that & you;re good to go
is there easy way how to export this image (eg. on cephfs) and download it to cold storage?

is there easy way how to export this image (eg. on cephfs) and download it to cold storage?
sure, its a .zst file and its stored in the storage you select as the destination. for e.g. vzdump-qemu-101-02023_09_07_11_01.vma.zst

Reactions: jose-d

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!