Hopefully Some Simple Answer's To Simple Question's About Upgrading To 6.1 from 5.2

ladylinux

Jul 5, 2019
Howdy,

Ready to take the plunge

So I have a cluster with some customization's. I figure I will have to adjust things after checking mail flow.

Question 1.

So is it best to upgrade first slave nodes then master or the opposite ??

Question 2.

Is it OK to run a mixed version cluster a few days while testing upgraded nodes ??

I can't do images/snapshots with my setup and my VM's are all 2000 miles away so I want to be very careful with this update.

I can take nodes off line to test and right now the lowest use nodes are the slave so if I can I would rather do the updates on slaves first if at all possible.

Thanks So Much For An Outstanding Product!!!

LadyLinux

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that. I have read that a few times but my specific concerns are not addressed in it.

Yes I am talking about the Mail Gateway product.

Maybe the confusion is my use of the word "VM" :)

These "VM's" are Vmware (I know boo/hiss) setup running Proxmox Mail Gateway guests.

Thanks!!

LadyLinux

No, you need to upgrade all nodes, just follow the howto exactly.
OK so if I have trouble I will not have much of a margin to fix the issue. Not exactly comforting. Its not your products fault of course but I can't update everything and hope it all works , nor can I deal with the 100's of angry people. And I do updates off hours when traffic is at a minimum. So testing happens when people start using the product.

I was hoping to have at least some time to test the update in a cluster rather than update it all at once and hope for the best.

Thanks Again Guess I Will Have To Find Another Way.

LadyLinux

Thanks Again Guess I Will Have To Find Another Way.

If you think you cannot manage the upgrade, just do a new install. And move the load step by step to your new cluster.

You can also consider buying support from our enterprise support team, if you are unsure and you need help.

If you think you cannot manage the upgrade, just do a new install. And move the load step by step to your new cluster.
That is what I am going to do.

You can also consider buying support from our enterprise support team, if you are unsure and you need help.
Oh I can manage the upgrade. My users can't handle even one second of downtime without chirping loudly.

And I don't think your team could do much with my customization's. (Mostly Related To Network)

Thanks Again!!

LadyLinux

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!