Homelab for clustering, ceph and kubernetes - will Xeon 12c/24t be enough ?

dominikp

Aug 28, 2018
I want to dive more into proxmox clustering - 3 nodes in VMs, test some HA stuff because ive never did it. Also i want to test out some ceph storaging (with VMs). Which i would place on those virtualised proxmoxes (or next to them?). And use this storage for VMs. So ceph nodes will have virtualized storage. Finally, some time later i definetly will want to learn at least basics of kubernetes (i already know docker). So i would place pods on those virtualised proxmoxes.

For that purpose i want to buy dell r720. Will all these be possible on 2x6c/12t Xeon e5-2620 2.0GHz, 64gb ram, + 2 SSDs (for main proxmox and for VMs)?Or will i have to do all one by one, with deleting previous setup? Im considering switching to 8/16 xeonx (total 16c/32t) if needed.

I dont think i7-6820hq would handle all those things i mentioned ( pxx cluster + ceph cluster + k8s kluster + buch of other things). I already have some small pc (i7 2600 + 12gb ram) with pxx on which i test some things (jenkins, artifactory, gitlab, docker, few apps instances) but its encrypted and i leave it only for company-related things. But its not enough, i need to test more things.

As reference, I sometimes run a 3-node Proxmox VE cluster with Ceph and VMs running on top of that Ceph storage inside a Proxmox VE host with Xeon E3-1231 v3 & a single NVME and while it takes some time to install VMs on that Ceph storage it's enough for testing.

@Dominic thanks! How many monitors/osds you have on your ceph? I dont know it at all but RH documentation says about 3 monitors and 3 osds as minimum.

I did 4 OSDs and 1 monitor per virtual PVE last time. My "testing" however was to run touch and cat. With such low requirements it does not really matter if you have 1 OSD or 4. But you also cannot complain when installing a VM takes 10 minutes instead of 1.

I dont think i7-6820hq would handle
So that computer would still be available? You could just give it a try and purchase new hardware when things become unbearably slow.

i7-6820hq is my work laptop with Kubuntu. I already have some small testing env in docker and some windows sysprep images in vbox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!