HomeAssistant in VM is causing Proxmox death

jkosatko

Sep 9, 2024
Hello all,

Let me describe my issue:
- I have installed latest version of PVE on HP EliteDesk 705 G3 Desktop mini with AMD PRO A10-8770E CORES 4C+6G 2.80GHz and 16GB RAM and 240GB ssd and AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
- I have created VM for HA (HomeAssistant) again latest image provide by HA
- If I try to run VM with HA it crashes whole PVE. Machine needs hard reset.

There is no secure boot on machine, Virtualization is enabled.
I have installed Win11 in separate VM and run some stress tests, no issue at all, it runs overnight without issue.
I tried to install VM with HA in few different ways, with script, manually etc, different vCPU and RAM configuration, no effect, still killing Proxmox ...

Any idea where is investigate?

Thanks

Jan K.

Which image are you using? My VM is a migrated HA OVA that originally ran on Hyper-V, and still works well for over a year. The PVE v8.2.3 config is:

#HA OS
agent: 1
balloon: 4096
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0
cores: 4
cpu: host
efidisk0: cpool-01:vm-105-disk-0,efitype=4m,size=1M
hotplug: disk,network,usb,memory,cpu
machine: q35
memory: 10240
meta: creation-qemu=8.0.2,ctime=1692977996
name: BARNEY
net0: virtio=BC:<redacted>:CE,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 1
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
scsi0: cpool-01:vm-105-disk-1,discard=on,iothread=1,size=50G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=d<redacted>d
sockets: 1
tags: linux;vm
vmgenid: 6<redacted>a

Currently also no secure boot on host, which I'm working on to get it done, and of course all virtualisation enabled in the UEFI BIOS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!