Home Media / Test Lab Server with Shared Storage

Dr.Cooper

May 26, 2024
I am looking at setting up a ProxMox server to mainly use as a media server, but also have the flexibility to run multiple operating systems in Virtual machines.

First off if there is a tutorial or something I should read that tells me whatever I need to know, feel free to point me in that direction. If this has already been covered somewhere, feel free to point me in that direction.

I have;
10th generation 16 core intel processor with 32 GB of RAM
1TB Western Digital Black nvme as my boot drive and Virtual machine drive (I am open to moving the virtual machines to another nvme)

For storage I have the following locally SATA attached hard drives. The content on these drives do not change very often and are read more than written. They do get updated with daily podcast updates. None of these drives are setup as raid drives.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
12TB Personal files (Data, Photo's, etc...)
14TB Media Drive
16TB Media Drive
18TB Media Drive
18TB Media Drive
20TB Media Drive

My Currently planned Virtiual Machines
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Linux
- Jellyfin
- Jriver Media Center
- Possibly NextCloud for GroupWare functionality

Other Linux operating systems (For lab and specialty apps)

Windows 10 (For lab and specialty apps)

Windows 11 (For lab and specialty apps)

My questions:
- Is it possible to setup the storage drives so that multiple Virtual Machines can access and or write to all or some of the storage drives?
- What would be the preferred hard drive format/file system?

I did search the forum to see if this has been asked already. I either worded my question incorrectly or did not understand the posts to identify a potential solution.

I did find the following post that seemed like it suggested setting up a virtual machine running open media vault as the shared storage, which sounded interesting. Just not sure that is the best method, as it is almost 10years old.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/best-solution-for-shared-storage.16788/
-------------------------------------------------------------------​
If i had multiple VM's sharing the same files from drive 2
1) create a KVM on Drive one.
2) install openmediavault (or any other NAS) on it.
3) pass drive 2 to said VM
4) share that drive (or its pools) via NFS protocol to all VM's running on it.
Proxmox-wiki and the NAS-wiki(s) will help​
-------------------------------------------------------------------​

I have installed ProxMox before and got lost in this section and switched back to a standalone Linux install. I am now looking to try again.

I have done localized virtual machines in VMware and VirtualBox, so I have some knowledge. The hypervisor world is still a new thing.

Looking to see if anyone has an idea how to best approach this. Thank you in advance for any ideas or help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!