Home lab resizing - remote storage

abranca

Mar 6, 2017
Hi everyone,
I need your advice for updating my home lab.

Unfortunately I have to decommission my current server (DELL R710), which has served me well so far, and replace it with a smaller server and storage on my LAN to cut down on electricity costs.

I need to downsize the server to an i7 pc with 20Gb of ram.
I was thinking of using two consumer ssd's (it's a home lab, not a business server) that I can replace in a few years, for the OS, and for machine storage I was thinking of using a QNAP with my actually WD RED HDs for NAS.

Have you guys had any experiences like this before? Can you give me some advice?
My LAN is 1Gb and I have no way, at the moment, to upgrade to 2.5Gb or higher but from testing there should be no problems with the machines currently on my server.

Thanks to all for your advice

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!