Ho do I enable multiple NICs on Proxmox node?

philled

May 25, 2015
I have 3 NICs installed on my Proxmox v3.4 node. One is a single NIC card, and the other two are on a dual NIC card. I am trying to get a Sophos firewall Virtual machine up and running, which requires 3 network interfaces: eth0 = LAN, eth1 = WAN (internet connection) and eth2 = DMZ.

When I look at the Network tab of the Proxmox node configuration I see 4 interfaces: eth0, eth1, eth2 and vmbr0. eth0 and vmbr0 are active, but eth1 and eth2 are not and I believe this is causing me issues in getting my Sophos VM to work. Here's a screenshot:
proxmox_network_interfaces.jpg

What do I need to do to get eth1 and eth2 running? I'm coming from vmWare ESXi where this is really simple but I'm struggling with it on Proxmox.

create BRIDGES on the other nics. They do not need addresses on them, just create some VMBR devices with each one connected to an ETH device. Then use those bridges in your Sophos VM. You don't attach VMs directly to ETH devices, you attach them to VMBRs

create BRIDGES on the other nics. They do not need addresses on them, just create some VMBR devices with each one connected to an ETH device. Then use those bridges in your Sophos VM. You don't attach VMs directly to ETH devices, you attach them to VMBRs
I've been trying to get this to work for ages but not having any luck. The VM I'm trying to get working is a Sophos firewall (it's a similar product to pfSense). It needs 3 network interfaces - LAN (eth0), WAN (eth1) which is DHCP from my ISP, and DMZ (eth2). The host has 3 NICs. I can get the eth0/vmbr0 interface working on the Sophos VM, but no matter what I try I can't get the other two NICs working. I think it might be to do with them showing as inactive (see screenshot).

Proxmox_NICs.gif

My /etc/network/interfaces file looks like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual
iface eth2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.0.103
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.254
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge_ports eth1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
bridge_ports eth2
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

What do I need to do to get vmbr1/eth1 and vmbr2/eth2 working?

Nothing. That's it. It will just work.

I have this exact setup with sophos running in a KVM.

Screenshot from 2015-09-26 01-55-03.png

Code:
# network interface settings

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

iface eth3 inet manual

iface eth4 inet manual

iface eth5 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address  192.168.254.231
    netmask  255.255.255.0
    gateway  192.168.254.251
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
    bridge_ports eth1
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
    bridge_ports eth2
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr999
iface vmbr999 inet manual
    bridge_ports none
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr11
iface vmbr11 inet manual
    bridge_ports none
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr3
iface vmbr3 inet manual
    bridge_ports eth3
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr4
iface vmbr4 inet manual
    bridge_ports eth4
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr5
iface vmbr5 inet manual
    bridge_ports eth5
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!