Higher idle CPU load with Debian 9 VMs

Eris

Renowned Member
Dec 16, 2015
itronic.at
Hi,

we recognized a higher cpu load after upgrading VMs from Debian 8 to Debian 9, maybe its not proxmox related but I only see this only in the proxmox webinterface and not inside of the VM.

Attached are some screenshots from different VMs, front01 has debian 8, frond02 is a clone with debian 9 doing nothing.

backup01 is on another node with "no" process running, you can see that io stops after i killed almost everything.

Did someone notice this behavior too?

I know its "only" 2% more but that's 4 times more then with Debian 8...

Attachments

• backup01_htop.jpg
    backup01_htop.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 7
  • backup01_pm_usage.jpg
    backup01_pm_usage.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 7
  • fron01_htop.jpg
    fron01_htop.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 5
  • fron01_pm_usage.jpg
    fron01_pm_usage.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 7
  • fron02_htop.jpg
    fron02_htop.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 5
  • fron02_pm_usage.jpg
    fron02_pm_usage.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Both VMs, front01 and front02 do not have the same configuration. As front01 has 6 CPUs available and front02 only two.

It doesn't matter how many cpus the vm has, anyway I already found the problem, its the qemu tablet usb device....

I patched my proxmox and removed usb support completely, I would like to have switch to turn it off... because I don't have any usb device ... maybe for a windows VM but even there I would disable it.

Also I will soon switch to the new shiny term.js with serial.socket.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!