High stealtime on host with only one vm

MNfromH

May 12, 2016
Hi there,

this is a first time here so hi to everyone!

I'm having a strange issue with a new machine i've set up. The setup is:

Host:
2x Xeon E5-2650v3 Hyperthreading enabled
128GB RAM DDR4 2133 ECC
RAID 1 with 480 gig Samsung SSD MZ7LM480HCHP on (Host OS, high IO storage, not used yet)
RAID-10 with 10k SAS drives (data drives for guests)
HW-Raid: MegaRAID MR9361-8i with BBU
Code:
root@host:~ # dpkg -l | grep -i proxmox
ii  libpve-access-control          4.0-16                         amd64        Proxmox VE access control library
ii  libpve-common-perl             4.0-60                         all          Proxmox VE base library
ii  libpve-storage-perl            4.0-38                         all          Proxmox VE storage management library
ii  proxmox-ve                     4.1-26                         all          The Proxmox Virtual Environment
ii  pve-cluster                    4.0-29                         amd64        Cluster Infrastructure for Proxmox Virtual Environment
ii  pve-container                  1.0-63                         all          Proxmox VE Container management tool
ii  pve-firewall                   2.0-26                         amd64        Proxmox VE Firewall
ii  pve-ha-manager                 1.0-31                         amd64        Proxmox VE HA Manager
ii  pve-headers-4.2.6-1-pve        4.2.6-36                       amd64        The Proxmox PVE Kernel Headers
ii  pve-kernel-4.2.6-1-pve         4.2.6-36                       amd64        The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
ii  pve-manager                    4.2-4                          amd64        The Proxmox Virtual Environment
Code:
root@host:~ # uname -a
Linux host 4.2.6-1-pve #1 SMP Thu Jan 28 11:25:08 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Code:
root@host:~ # pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS:  184012.60
REGEX/SECOND:  2091403
HD SIZE:  7.75 GB (/dev/dm-0)
BUFFERED READS:  517.67 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 0.13 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND:  5078.63
DNS EXT:  7.88 ms
DNS INT:  5.35 ms (dns.company.com)

Currently this machine hosts one single VM (planning to add some in the future)
Hardware config_1.JPG Hardware config.JPG

Code:
root@guest:~ $ uname -a
Linux guest 3.10.0-327.13.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 31 16:04:38 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

We put some serious load on the guest from time to time and we really need all those threads.

Guest CPU Util:
cpu_guest.png

Host CPU Util:
cpu_host.png

Since the host does literally nothing else then serving the guest I have no idea what is causing this amount of stealtime.
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks for your time guys.

Max

Yes, it is a little bit strange, but you have also an little mistake in your vmsetup. You has 2 CPU's, so 2 Sockets, every socket have 20cores. So must say und guest VM "2 Sockets and 18 Cores". Maybe this is the only issue, please change this first and test again. And please post what process in your VM have this hight CPUload.

Hi! Thanks for your answer.

I changed the config to 2 sockets, 18 cores each but the issue still persists.
The processes inside the vm are two multithreaded java applications. Any more details needed here?

I really have no idea how I can debug this any further. It's hard to find any documentation about this whole stealtime thing. Does somebody know how the host calculates this stealtime?

Well, MAYBE I found the answer. Maybe not as the article I found covers an entirely different architecture and hypervisor.

IBM covers a phenomenon in the following article wich basically describes what I am doing here: Using heavily paralleled applications in a hyperthreaded environemnt (IBM calls in SMT on Power-Systems) while in a guest system, see: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...446ebc23c550/page/Measuring+stolen+CPU+cycles

In their example they have a host system with SMT (Hyperthreading) enabled and a guest with two virtual CPUs -> one physical core with two threads.

In the IBM example, if you load this two virtual CPUs with multiple threads, keeping both threads fairly busy, the guest OS will report ~50% CPU-Load and ~50% Stealtime. Wich kind of makes sense... somewhat.

I'll do some tests on this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!