High Memory Usage?

ptmuldoon

Apr 28, 2012
I just switched away from ESXI and love what I see so far, but I think I am seeing some high memory usage and unsure why?

This is a homelab setup that is running 36GB of ram, and I have Proxmox installed via ZFS on Raid1 setup (2x 1tB drives)

I currently have 4 machines running in Proxmox

1. Ubuntu LXC for PlexServer - assigned 4GB, and shows using 6% usage
2. Ubuntu LXC for Openhab - assigned 4GB, and shows 32% usage
3. VM for Unraind with PlopKexec to boot it. assigned 4GB and shows 17% usage
4. VM for Win10 with 4GB assigned and shows 17% usage. I have installed teh Virtiio Drivers and Blnsvr service on this machine.

So I'm currently only using up 16GB of ram, and none of them are running at full usage. But the summary page of the proxmox webgui says I am using a total of 19.75GB?

I know proxmox needs some RAM, but is seeing 19GB or memory used correct?

Thanks,
PT

ZFS could easily be the culprit here, although I wouldn't recommend limiting it's resource usage as long as you have enough memory. Used memory is in general not something to worry about, as RAM caches will actually benefit your system performance. Only when you are running out of RAM is when I would consider limiting ZFS or other memory hogs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!