High Memory Usage On VM With PCI Passthrough

trademarkej

Mar 6, 2024
I recently installed an Intel Arc A380 into my Proxmox 8.2.2 node to perform transcoding tasks on a VM running Ubuntu 24.04 LTS with PCI passthrough verified as working.

Previously the VM used between between 6-12GB of RAM but the mere act of adding the PCI device shows it's now using ~93% of available RAM. I have tested increasing the VM to 24, 32 and 64GB of RAM and regardless Proxmox reports the VM is using ~93% of it's available RAM. If I remove the PCI devices but leave all other settings the same, the memory usage drops down to the previously acceptable range. Is this normal behavior or am I missing something?

Code:
agent: enabled=1
balloon: 0
boot: c
bootdisk: scsi0
ciuser: ubuntu
cores: 4
hostpci0: 0000:09:00,pcie=1
hostpci1: 0000:0a:00,pcie=1
ide2: local-lvm:vm-235-cloudinit,media=cdrom,size=4M
ipconfig0: ip=##.##.##.##/24,gw=##.##.##.##
machine: q35
memory: 1638
name: rke2-agent-02
net0: virtio=D2:89:16:D4:38:57,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-235-disk-0,discard=on,size=20992M,ssd=1
scsi1: local-lvm:vm-235-disk-1,discard=on,size=2G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
serial0: socket
sockets: 1
vga: serial0

1716572257943.png

1716572827410.png

Because PCI(e) devices can de Direct Memory Access at any time, all VM memory must be pinned into actual host RAM when using PCI(e) passthrough. So this is normal and the VM cannot use less than the chosen amount of memory.

Reactions: trademarkej
Because PCI(e) devices can de Direct Memory Access at any time, all VM memory must be pinned into actual host RAM when using PCI(e) passthrough. So this is normal and the VM cannot use less than the chosen amount of memory.
Ok good to know. Thanks for your quick response!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!