High load, low CPU usage (2 servers)

DavidDV

Jul 31, 2019
Hi, I have a pretty curious problem.

I have a dedicated server in hetzner (EX42-NVME) with i7-6700, 64GB DDR4 and NVME 512 RAID-1 ZFS (by proxmox installer).

Proxmox 6.0.7 running 6 LXC instances with extremely low usage (5-10% cpu max.), CPU usage is very low throughout the dedicated, but the load is always in 3 - 4, I think it is too high considering that the CPU usage is minimal.

- CPU %, minimal.
- Network, monitoring with nload network use in both proxmox and all containers is very low or non-existent.
- Disk, monitoring with iotop the disk is almost not used, little movement.

The funny thing is that it also happens to me in my homelab!

Intel Pentium Gold G5400 + 8GB DDR4 + RAID-1 WD Green 1TB. without any container in operation, also with proxmox 6.0.7 the load is 1.5 - 2.0 minimum, with 0% usage in all day. What could be the problem? Is it a proxmox 6 bug?

Thank you!

Hi,

root@nodo:~# zpool list
NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CKPOINT EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
rpool 476G 74.2G 402G - - 23% 15% 1.00x ONLINE -

root@nodo:~# zpool status -v
pool: rpool
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0B in 0 days 00:01:27 with 0 errors on Sun Sep 8 00:25:28 2019
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
rpool ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
nvme0n1p3 ONLINE 0 0 0
nvme1n1p3 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

I think I found the problem:

Every night a backup is made to an external server via CIFS configured in proxmox. Long ago, communication was cut promptly with the CIFS server and since then I think it fails.

The IO load is very high:

ioload.jpg

The backup process has run in the background:

root@nodo:~# ps faxl | grep " D "
1 0 20357 2 20 0 0 0 msleep D ? 1:12 \_ [cifsd]
0 0 12029 11744 20 0 6072 896 pipe_w S+ pts/8 0:00 | \_ grep D
0 0 30390 1 20 0 0 0 io_sch D ? 16:36 [gzip]

I can't stop it and it is generating a lot of load that is spoiling the disks:

nvme.jpg

The degradation has risen 5-8% in 1 month :(

I can't stop it and it is generating a lot of load that is spoiling the disks:

It can't generate anything, because it is locked in D state, which is an uninterruptible sleep. Samba lockups are always bad and can normally be resolved by getting a working "backend server" or trying to forcefully unmount the mountpoint. If df also blocking if you run it? What about entries in dmesg?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!