High committed memory

elvinmammadov

Feb 12, 2021
Hello,
We have a Dell server running with Proxmox 8. The server has 64GB RAM.
1st VM has 36GB RAM
2nd VM has 16GB RAM
3rd VM has 4GB RAM

1701188669259.png

Checkmk showed that there is a high memory usage on the server.

1701188648018.png

I have noticed in the Proxmox shell that VMs uses high Virtual memory than allocated.

1701188756442.png

Could you please let me know if it is normal that the Virtual Memory should be higher than the allocated memory? If not, is it a good idea to limit the Virtual Memory usage? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,
it is normal for the virtual memory to be higher than the what is allocated, as it includes shared libraries, swapped out pages and unused but allocated memory [0]. Virtual memory is not a good measure for ram usage, because some processes allocate a huge amount of memory "just in case". To provide an absurd example, the element client on my desktop currently has a virtual memory of over one terabyte, but will probably never use more than half a GB.

20231129_10h41m59s_grim.png

Similar questions have been seen in the checkmk forum, with answer from chekmk partners, suggesting to raise or disable the threshold [1].

[0] https://www.baeldung.com/linux/resident-set-vs-virtual-memory-size
[1] https://forum.checkmk.com/t/proxmox-ve-memory-usage-crit-but-memory-ok/38849

Last edited:
Reactions: elvinmammadov
We have also deactivated this value in checkmk and no longer take it into account. We've never had any problems with it, so in my opinion it's safe to do it that way.

Reactions: elvinmammadov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!