High-ascii characters found in subject header SARE_HEAD_8BIT_SPAM

vuser1

Jan 15, 2009
I noticed that some normal emails are marked as SPAM. It happens not so often, but happens. Rule level is normal, not aggressive. Looks like there is an option to improve. See:

Subject: SPAM: Регистрация в системе A1 Агрегатор
raw subject: SPAM: =?utf-8?B?0KDQtdCz0LjRgdGC0YDQsNGG0LjRjyDQsiDRgdC40YHRgtC10LzQtSBBMSDQkNCz0YDQtdCz0LDRgtC+0YA=?=

In headers:
SARE_HEAD_8BIT_SPAM 0.888 High-ascii characters found in subject header
SUBJ_ALL_CAPS 1.806 Subject is all capitals

1) Notice that subject is not all capitals. Looks like bug.
2) Why it complains about non-ascii characters, what's the problem? Should this check be OFF in Proxmox - it is international software, I hope :) This would decrease the chance of "false positive" for emails with UTF-8 subjects.

OK, I've did it. I hope it doesn't switch off useful tests like "too many spaces" or "message is HTML only". Anyway, do you think that non-ascii characters should not increase spam level?

Interesting! Do you mean the system learns and will decrease weight of a rule? How does it work, how it understand that email was not spam?

Do I understand right that Proxmox Mail Gateway does not learn on-the-fly, according to my emails. Instead, it relies on statistical databases of built-in engines such as SpamAssassin?

1) Why non-ascii characters in subject increase spam level? This does not make sense outside english-speaking countries.
2) You wrote that proxmox 'learn' and decrease weight of the rule SARE_HEAD_8BIT_SPAM. How it can learn if users do not tell it that email is not spam? Users receive messages with "SPAM:" in subject and they can't send feedback to proxmox that message is not spam.

Perhaps I do not understand some very basic concept of proxmox MG...

1) Why non-ascii characters in subject increase spam level? This does not make sense outside english-speaking countries.

It make sense, because most spam is written in english.

2) You wrote that proxmox 'learn' and decrease weight of the rule SARE_HEAD_8BIT_SPAM.

It uses Bayes filtering and other adaptive/statistical methods to learn.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!