Hey everyone need help with Fibre Channel

dvjcreep

Oct 24, 2015
Hey
I gott HP proliant hp proliant dl380 g5 with an fibre card..
# lspci | grep "Fibre Channel"
# 17:00.0 Fibre Channel: Emulex Corporation Zephyr LightPulse Fibre Channel Host Adapter (rev 02)

I'm thinking to use is as an network card, but i cant configure it to start working..

I did use google...
Can anyone help me ?

thanks for help :)

Emulex LightPulse Adapters are Fibre Channel adapters, not Ethernet. They might be taking the same physical ports (LC) as a Ethernet adapter with optical ports, but the protocol they speak is Fibre Channel. Although Fibre Channel typically is used with fibre optics, the medium can also be copper. Same applies for ethernet.

FC is useful in a Storage Area Network (SAN) serving block devices but not for "ordinary" networking. Your card could be used to initiate block devices from a SAN or to set up a FC target if the drivers and software stack supports it. (i.e. LIO FC target on Linux, illumos/Solaris COMSTAR or FreeBSD CAM target)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!