Hetzner installimage proxmox + 4 diff drives

FuriousRage

Renowned Member
Oct 17, 2014
Im planning to go with proxmox (+license) on my hetzner server.
Im going to have 2x512GB, 2x8TB.
What would be the best setup with the drives in mind?
Server got 128GB ram, so that'll last a bit or three.

My thought was atleast obviously to mirror the two 8TB drives. The other 2 for os/boot/what else? Raid? No raid?
I got a 10TB storage box that can be used for backup and other stuff too (Planning on to use cifs here to mount it either at proxmox level, or parts into each VM)

Last edited:
Im planning to go with proxmox (+license) on my hetzner server.
The Proxmox license is AGPL3. Did you mean a support subscription (which is an entirely other legal thing)? It does not matter for advise on storage usage, or any other advise since you'll be running the same software (just less/later updates).
Im going to have 2x512GB, 2x8TB.
What are the differences between the 521G and 8T? If one a SDD and the other NVMe or HDD? Is one enterprise grade with PLP and the other consumer QLC? Maybe share the make and model, if you can. It rather depends on the details for any advise.

Last edited:
The Proxmox license is AGPL3. Did you mean a support subscription (which is an entirely other legal thing)? It does not matter for advise on storage usage, or any other advise since you'll be running the same software (just less/later updates).
Hi, yes i ment subscription, the community 1cpu, to support proxmox with little pocket change so to speak

What are the differences between the 521G and 8T? If one a SDD and the other NVMe or HDD? Is one enterprise grade with PLP and the other consumer QLC? Maybe share the make and model, if you can. It rather depends on the details for any advise.

the 2x512GB is nvme/ssd, the 8T are hdd/mechanicals (Hetzner EX62 server)

I also got 2 different IPv4 that i can use in some good way

the 2x512GB is nvme/ssd, the 8T are hdd/mechanicals (Hetzner EX62 server)
I would consider using part of the 512GB (as a ZFS mirror) for Proxmox and VM/CT that I would want to run from SSD, and use the other part (you'll have to figure out how much you need for this) as a ZFS special device (mirror) for the ZFS mirror of the 8TB to use for storage and VM/CTs that don't need fast drives.

EDIT: I'm sure other people will suggest entirely different options, like you yourself just did. However, I would suggest accelerating the HDD mirror with a special device (mirror) anyway, which only needs to be 0.5% or so of the 8TB. But feel free to ignore this option.

Last edited:
I would consider using part of the 512GB (as a ZFS mirror) for Proxmox and VM/CT that I would want to run from SSD, and use the other part (you'll have to figure out how much you need for this) as a ZFS special device (mirror) for the ZFS mirror of the 8TB to use for storage and VM/CTs that don't need fast drives.
Thanks.

Im thinking, if proxmox can boot in a raided way like mirrored 2x60GB, the rest for the VM/CT:s, and the mirrored 8TB:s for VM data. so ssd for the VM files/boot, then a seperated drive for the VM for stuff like /home in the VM that is from the mirrored 8TB:s.

Another thing i hit a wall with some year ago with hetzner and proxmox, was that random MAC-addresses showed up at their firewall/inspection which caused some abuse mail ("not allowed MAC:s"), what would be the best option here? Would starting with vSwitch for the VM:s be a good way to ensure only the servers MAC shows out to the internet, but all VM:s can access internet for stuff like apt upgrade:s.

Whatever you do... use ZFS. :)
In your case I think the answer is simple: 2x512GB/nvme - zfs mirror (for root fs and essential CT/VM files); 2x8TB - zfs mirror (for data).
Storagebox for backups, ct images, extra data also seems fine. Just make sure to have the box in the same data center where your server will be plugged in.

Reactions: justinclift
I've added another SSD "only" to this server i've had a bunch of time.
No worries. Was asking the model number to get an idea of the likely configuration of the server. Might make things easier for people to give accurate answers. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!