Help with P2P 10gbe SFP+ nodes, and OSX guest

jdewb

Feb 12, 2020
Hello all!

Proxmox noob here, and I've tried sorting it out on my own but could use some help from the hive mind. I have two Proxmox nodes, one is a little server with an xpenology guest, plex, and a headless OSX that I use to torrent. Its main use is the Diskstation NAS. I just finished building a new workstation node, that I'm trying to run Windows 10 and OSX simultaneously. The part that I'm stuck on is I have a Mellanox ConnectX-3 (MCX311A) 10gbe SFP+ card in both nodes. They are setup in Proxmox using a linux bridge. On the server side I was able to make virtio net drivers for the Diskstation kernel, and they seem to be working as far as I can tell.

Windows 10 had no problem with the virtio ethernet, aside from me only getting around 2-3gbps. Still trying to sort that problem out.

The big issue is OSX doesn't have virtio net drivers, and I can't passthrough the card to OSX because I can't fit two SFP+ cards on my motherboard. I'm trying to figure out a way to get the 10gbe connection from my nas to the guest.

Does anyone know if there is a way to mount the NAS shares as a drive in OSX? I was able to connect to the shares using CIFS with the workstation node but I can't figure out a way to get them into the guests.

Any help or pointers would be super helpful!!

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out a way to get the 10gbe connection from my nas to the guest.
You must use PCIe pass through, as you wrote virtio is not supported by OSX and no other nic is capable to saturate 10GBit/s.
What nic do you have on your MB? maybe it supports virtual functions?

it's a SolarFlare SFN5122F.

It would appear that it does, but I'm not sure how to implement it. Anything to point me in the right direction?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!