Help with Configuration / Tuning / Settings for ZFS Pools in Proxmox

norsemangrey

Feb 8, 2021
Hi, I could really need some input from some experts on how to best configure this setup. I understand there are some best practices and recommendations when it comes to using ZFS in Proxmox. My plan is to have three separate pools; one for installing Proxmox, one for VMs/LXCs and one for data / file storage with datasets to be used by the various VMs and LXCs. I could use some input (or reference to some good guides) on how to configure and tune the various ZFS pools (not create them, but a little beyond the basics) and what settings / changes I should do in Proxmox related to the pools.

Last edited:
I expanded on my diagram a bit for a bit more visual presentation of what I'm looking for. I have searched the forum and Googled a lot trying to find some answers, but although I get the impression that the below setup is something people are doing I'm having a hard time finding any coherent and easy to understand way of accomplishing it. Only bits and pieces. So if anyone would share of their knowledge to help out a novice I would be really grateful :)

1618391973589.png

I am starting to wonder if I should use ZFS for the VMs/LXCs at all. Since it is possible to do snapshots and backups of the VMs and containers in Proxmox without ZFS, would there be any great advantage of using it besides the redundancy aspect of putting them in a mirror configuration?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!