Help with Choosing Hardware

Squirrel_

Oct 7, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I am currently wanting to build a mini home lab server using Proxmox and I am needing some help as I am fairly New to proxmox. The Current specs I am thinking of using are the following:

Specs
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x (No integrated graphics)
Ram: 16GB DDR4
Motherboard: ASUS B350 F Gaming
GPU: Not sure about???

Will this configuration of parts work?

I want to run a few VMs such as windows 10 VM, TrueNas (running plex) just to name a few, these VMs will be running all the time. I was wondering if its possible to do this with with a single Graphics card as I am not familiar with how Proxmox works as the AMD CPU I want to use doesn't have integrated graphics.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Your setup is not ideal for PCIe passthrough but it's not clear to me if you want/need that. Which VMs do you need with output to a physical display? Which VMs are fine with rendering all graphics by the CPU? Proxmox does not provide accelerated graphics unless you use passthrough, but SPICE for Linux VMs usually works good enough.
Note that it will be problematic if you overcommit on memory (in your case: if VMs use more memory than about 13GB). This is usually the bottleneck for running VMs.
What kind of storage do you intend to use? Proxmox tends to eat consumer ("Pro") SSD drives quite quickly.
As Proxmox is enterprise server oriented, people often buy second-hand servers instead of consumer hardware because server hardware is often a better match for your "home lab server" and Proxmox.

EDIT: I don't want to gatekeep or scare you off (as I run on consumer Ryzen myself+ECC+raid1), but your choice of hardware suggest to me that you did not much research (like reading this forum for some time). I fear that, once you install Proxmox, you want to passthrough one GPU to three VMs, and we'll tell you to get two additional GPUs, and then your motherboard won't support it, and we'll tell you how to work around it, and then your power supply will catch fire.... A more detailed plan about what kind of VMs, how many and what kind of workload you intend to run, and a money budget would help in giving advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunuin
Thank you so much for the reply will do some more research and reading the forums before even looking at hardware again.

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!