Help to understand mount points

juju01

May 16, 2020
I am getting myself confused with how to add storage on a separate local disk ( disk 2 ) to my containers - which live on another disk. ( disk 1)

For example, I have setup a container with zfs on disk 1. This is for a postgres database. I'd like to store the database itself - not the container, on disk 2. How do I add this storage from disk 2 and tell postgres to store its database there?

I also have another container on disk 1 for other things. I'd like to create a folder on disk 2 where I can store files ( csv, excel etv ) for programs on this container.

I am not sure how to mount disk 2? Do I partition it so different containers have their own space or just one big storage tank with custom mount point paths for each container/application? I'd like to use a single disk zfs setup for this one. Any insights into how to set this correctly will be appreciated.

You can try the following:
  1. Go to Node→Disks→ZFS and click Create: ZFS to add your second disk as ZFS storage to Proxmox VE.
  2. Go to your container→Resources→Add→Mount point. As storage you select the ZFS storage that you created in step 1. Path is for inside the container, for example entering /disk2/files would create this directory in the container.
  3. You can test this by
    1. On the host: zpool list
    2. In the container: dd if=/dev/urandom of=/disk2/files/test bs=1M count=5000
    3. On the host again: zpool list. ALLOC should have increased and FREE decreased.
    4. zfs list should show a line for each folder that you add to your container

You can try the following:
  1. Go to Node→Disks→ZFS and click Create: ZFS to add your second disk as ZFS storage to Proxmox VE.
  2. Go to your container→Resources→Add→Mount point. As storage you select the ZFS storage that you created in step 1. Path is for inside the container, for example entering /disk2/files would create this directory in the container.
  3. You can test this by
    1. On the host: zpool list
    2. In the container: dd if=/dev/urandom of=/disk2/files/test bs=1M count=5000
    3. On the host again: zpool list. ALLOC should have increased and FREE decreased.
    4. zfs list should show a line for each folder that you add to your container

Hello Dominic - Sorry for the delayed reply. Finally got around to looking at this. I setup the zfs pool and the mount point as directed above. I installed postgres in this container. And I needed to move a postgres conf file into my mount point folder. I am running into permissions issue. I cant rsync the file over. After some research I found this wiki article about mount points on unprivileged containers.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Unprivileged_LXC_containers

It says to change the container UID mapping in the file /etc/pve/lxc/1234.conf . Mine is /etc/pve/lxc/111.conf

But my file doesn't look like anything shown in the example! very very different file. here is my file:

Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 1
hostname: database
memory: 1024
mp0: /databank/database,mp=/storage,backup=1,shared=1
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,hwaddr=1E:47:70:1B:E2:88,ip=dhcp,type=veth
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: local-zfs-vmstore:subvol-111-disk-0,size=30G
swap: 1024
unprivileged: 1

what to do now?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!