Help: PVE Cluster storage problem

kobemtl

Nov 25, 2020
I think I screwed up the cluster. Below the details about my cluster storage.
pve-dellr330:
$lvs LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert data pve twi-aotz-- <63.38g 40.32 2.64 root pve -wi-ao---- 29.00g swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g ... ...
pve-dellr530:
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert dellr530-proxthin lvmthin twi-aotz-- 196.47g 54.27 2.27 root pve -wi-ao---- 9.75g swap pve -wi-ao---- <4.88g ... ...
So now if I need to migrate any VM or CT from node to node I get error about storage xxx is not available on the other node. If I set the storage local-lvm and dellr530-proxthin accessible from both nodes I get error like this
() 2022-06-23 11:10:55 starting migration of CT 100 to node 'pve-dellr330' (192.168.0.141) 2022-06-23 11:10:55 found local volume 'dellr530-proxthin:vm-100-disk-0' (in current VM config) 2022-06-23 11:10:56 Volume group "lvmthin" not found 2022-06-23 11:10:56 Cannot process volume group lvmthin 2022-06-23 11:10:57 command '/sbin/lvs --separator : --noheadings --units b --unbuffered --nosuffix --config 'report/time_format="%s"' --options vg_name,lv_name,lv_size,lv_attr,pool_lv,data_percent,metadata_percent,snap_percent,uuid,tags,metadata_size,time lvmthin' failed: exit code 5 send/receive failed, cleaning up snapshot(s).. 2022-06-23 11:10:58 ERROR: storage migration for 'dellr530-proxthin:vm-100-disk-0' to storage 'dellr530-proxthin' failed - command 'set -o pipefail && pvesm export dellr530-proxthin:vm-100-disk-0 raw+size - -with-snapshots 0 | /usr/bin/ssh -e none -o 'BatchMode=yes' -o 'HostKeyAlias=pve-dellr330' root@192.168.0.141 -- pvesm import dellr530-proxthin:vm-100-disk-0 raw+size - -with-snapshots 0 -allow-rename 1' failed: exit code 5 2022-06-23 11:10:58 aborting phase 1 - cleanup resources 2022-06-23 11:10:58 ERROR: found stale volume copy 'dellr530-proxthin:vm-100-disk-0' on node 'pve-dellr330' 2022-06-23 11:10:58 start final cleanup 2022-06-23 11:10:58 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:03): storage migration for 'dellr530-proxthin:vm-100-disk-0' to storage 'dellr530-proxthin' failed - command 'set -o pipefail && pvesm export dellr530-proxthin:vm-100-disk-0 raw+size - -with-snapshots 0 | /usr/bin/ssh -e none -o 'BatchMode=yes' -o 'HostKeyAlias=pve-dellr330' root@192.168.0.141 -- pvesm import dellr530-proxthin:vm-100-disk-0 raw+size - -with-snapshots 0 -allow-rename 1' failed: exit code 5 TASK ERROR: migration aborted
Is it anyway to fix this? Or after the cluster nodes created nothing can be changed?
Thanks.

You can carefully rename one of the sides to match volume group names, ie dellr530-proxthin>data, or vice versa.
You will also need to update the storage.cfg file, and may be vm.cfg files. Best to shut down VM/CTs as do this maintenance.
Dont rush into things - understand what the outcome you want and what the commands you plan to run will affect.
Good luck

Another option as you migrate the VM , I believe you can pick a different storage target.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

When I do the migration there is no option to choose the storage target. And I remember I had that kind of choice before. It was before when I had another node in the cluster. Any idea or document where can I have that option?

you can try to use CLI:

Code:
qm migrate <vmid> <target> [OPTIONS]

Migrate virtual machine. Creates a new migration task.

<vmid>: <integer> (1 - N)
           The (unique) ID of the VM.

<target>: <string>
           Target node.

--bwlimit <integer> (0 - N) (default = migrate limit from datacenter or storage config)
           Override I/O bandwidth limit (in KiB/s).

--force <boolean>
           Allow to migrate VMs which use local devices. Only root may use this option.

--migration_network <string>
           CIDR of the (sub) network that is used for migration.

--migration_type <insecure | secure>
           Migration traffic is encrypted using an SSH tunnel by default. On secure, completely private networks this can be disabled to increase performance.

--online <boolean>
           Use online/live migration if VM is running. Ignored if VM is stopped.

--targetstorage <string>
           Mapping from source to target storages. Providing only a single storage ID maps all source storages to that storage. Providing the special value 1 will map each source storage to itself.

--with-local-disks <boolean>
           Enable live storage migration for local disk

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

I am so sorry. I think I made a mistake. All the error and the missing option is for LXC migration NOT VM.

the container functionality is the same, just different CLI tool:

Code:
pct migrate <vmid> <target> [OPTIONS]

Migrate the container to another node. Creates a new migration task.

<vmid>: <integer> (1 - N)
           The (unique) ID of the VM.

<target>: <string>
           Target node.

--bwlimit <number> (0 - N) (default = migrate limit from datacenter or storage config)
           Override I/O bandwidth limit (in KiB/s).

--online <boolean>
           Use online/live migration.

--restart <boolean>
           Use restart migration

--target-storage <string>
           Mapping from source to target storages. Providing only a single storage ID maps all source storages to that storage. Providing the special value 1 will map each source storage to itself.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!