Help on a setup.

Spamkiller

Feb 24, 2021
I am trying to figure out how to do this. I'd like to set up multiple VMs. One VM would be the a pfsense or opnsense gateway and that should be visible to the real network device(s) with multiple IP addresses accessible from the world. The other VMs could network with each other through virtual network devices and the gateway would route the traffic to the appropriate VMs. This would let me have an active and an experimental server, so then when the experimental server is ready to go live, I can just adjust the gateway to bring the experimental server live. How can I do this? Thanks.

Are we talking about a single node or a PVE cluster?

The basic idea is to have another vmbr interface without any bridge_port configured and also with any IP address (so the PVE node cannot be reached from that internal network).

Your router/firewall VM will have one network connection to the outside world and another to that internal only vmbr. The guests will only be connected to the internal only network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!