Help neededd for cluster dimensioning

davidefe82

Jun 9, 2021
Hello to everyone.
A customer will change his server soon.
Now he run 2 phisical server, a win 10 and a suse.
He wants to virtualize it in a cluster to have a second chanche in case of failure.
He need a total of 1tb of space.
I think that proxmox ha with ceph is the way. I think that 3 hp ml350 with 2 1tb ssd each is ok to have enaugh space.
I have some question:
It's safe to deploy ha with 3 nodes?
With 3 nodes with 3 total 1tb ssd how much available space will be?
Is there alternatives to have 2 server syncronized realtime?

The customer brutally asked this:
I want to have my vms online on a server, if i unplug ac220 to this server (fault simulation) want to continue working on server 2.
He received an offer by a concurrent based on vmware, he would deploy 2 host with a 3rd server that sync realtime, if server1 fault the vm start on server2, if controller fault the work continue, i don't really understand what is the vmware feature that can do this...

Many thank for your help.

It's safe to deploy ha with 3 nodes?
sure 3 node is the minimum, it will handle 1 node failure

you can get by with 2 nodes and a qdevice (raspberry pi)

With 3 nodes with 3 total 1tb ssd how much available space will be?
well if you use ceph synced to 3 nodes you get 1tb total.

Is there alternatives to have 2 server syncronized realtime?
for realtime sync which is called hyper converged there is ceph and glusterfs

The customer brutally asked this:
I want to have my vms online on a server, if i unplug ac220 to this server (fault simulation) want to continue working on server 2.
He received an offer by a concurrent based on vmware, he would deploy 2 host with a 3rd server that sync realtime, if server1 fault the vm start on server2, if controller fault the work continue, i don't really understand what is the vmware feature that can do this...
they use a shared storage setup, 2 worker nodes, 1 san

to get good performance with hyper converged setups you need ssd storage and >=10G redundant networks.

cost and performance wise I would recommend you to go with shared storage or replication.

also see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

Hi,
We ask to customer their requirement.
They want to put 3 or more server in 2 different buildings and in case of AC failure in a building wants to remain online.
If i put 2 server in a building and 1 or 2 in other building i dont reach quorum if a building fail.
Is there any way to solve this issue?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!