Help Needed -- I need to get Proxmox 3.4 Installed onto 3 Mac Mini's for a Deployment

mantisgroove

Nov 19, 2014
Hello everyone.

I'll start off by saying I've used Proxmox over the years for a variety of projects, and am a HUGE fan of the platform.

I was recently put in charge of a production deployment that I'm having some trouble with. I need to deploy multiple, independent instances of a web application which consists of MySQL and Tomcat. This should be pretty straight forward. I asked for 3 physical servers so I could set everything up with a large degree of redundancy. I work for the MSP division of a large national Apple Computer Reseller, so a combination of budget, and my desire for 3 physical boxes got me Mac Mini's. They're Intel (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core i7 CPU based, and I'm putting Samsung 850 Pro SSD's in them, so I figured everything should actually work quite well.

My issue is, I can't seem to get the installer to even run. Booting was a challenge, but eventually by using The rEFIt Project ( http://refit.sourceforge.net ) I was able to successfully boot up to the Proxmox initial install menu (giving me the choice to install, install (debug mode), or Test RAM). However, no matter which option I choose, I get the first two messages (the 2nd being creating RAMdisk or something like that?) and then the screen goes black. After that... nothing. I've tried everything I can think of, and I'm stuck. I've heard that you can install Debian as the base OS, and then "install" Proxmox on top of that, but I've had AMAZING success with the Proxmox distribution the way it comes in the past, I'm a little hesitant to go another route.

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Here is the detailed information about my Mac Mini hardware:

Apple, Mac Mini (Late 2012), A1347, EMC 2570, MD388LL/A, Macmini6,2
Intel 2.3GHz, Quad Core i7, 3615QM (Ivy Bridge), 64-bit Architecture
6MB on chip, shared L3 Cache
Intel Direct Media Interface (DMI) System Bus
16GB of RAM (8GB x 2), 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM
Interleaving Support = Yes
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Up to 1GB of Shared Memory for the GPU
HDMI attached LCD monitor
10/100/1000BASE-T (RJ45)
4 x USB 3.0 (5 GHz, with 2.0 & 1.0 backwards compatibility)
1 Firewire 800 (IEEE 1394) (800Mbps) port
1 Thunderbolt Port (Light Peak / PCIe over a Mini Display Port)
1 SD Card Slot (SDXC)
SATA III (6 Gbps Serial ATA)

If you have questions I'm happy to provide more information, but I'm really hoping there's a workaround for this, because if this doesn't work I'm still going to have to use these 3 boxes, that's no longer my choice, and I know I can make it work with VMware, but I REALLY, REALLY would love to use Proxmox for this deployment.

Thanks in advance for the advice. --Peace

Re: Help Needed -- I need to get Proxmox 3.4 Installed onto 3 Mac Mini's for a Deploy

grab a linux box and a usb sata enclosure, and use that to install proxmox with kvm. something like this should work, assuming the ssd in the enclosure shows up as /dev/sdb.

Code:
kvm -drive file=/dev/sdb,if=virtio,cache=none -cdrom /path/to/proxmox.iso -boot d -m 1G

then put it back into the mac and it should boot fine. at least ubuntu did. if if=virtio doesnt work, if=scsi or if=ide should work.

Re: Help Needed -- I need to get Proxmox 3.4 Installed onto 3 Mac Mini's for a Deploy

Unfortunately, I couldn't even get Debian to work. Not the net install at least. The installer didn't recognize my Ethernet interface, and then it did see the WiFi but I couldn't get it to join any networks.

I spent ALL DAY working on this. ESXi v6.0 actually works out of the box with no issues (even though it's not on VMware's HCL), but I really wish I could get Proxmox on these minis. Oh well. Thanks guys.

Hi,

you can try to install debian , then proxmox repository on top of debian.

(This is exactly the same than using proxmox install cd)

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy

I tried this, and let it run for several hours and it still hadn't completed when I needed to leave the office... stupid me didn't "screen" before running the command from an ssh window. Oh well. I'll try it again tomorrow and see if this will work. The above command seemed to execute fine once I added "-display none" to fix a "could not initialize SDL" problem.

I finally let this run for over 16 hours, and it never seemed to do anything. ESXi installs and runs with zero issues on this Mac Mini model. I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just use VMware. I LOVE Proxmox and VMware seems a little like the evil overlords Microsoft once was... but... it just seems like Proxmox isn't destined to run on this hardware. =(

Theres also ganeti, which you can run on top of ubuntu. and openstack (just kidding :) )

Ok, so, I went back and tried to install Debian with a full installer (not a network installer). This allowed me to get Debian 7.8 fully installed onto the Mac Minis. Now, when I attempt to install Proxmox via the instructions linked above, I make a lot of headway, but when I get to "the end", I'm left here:

Setting up pve-cluster (3.0-16) ...
[....] Starting pve cluster filesystem : pve-cluster[main] crit: Unable to get local IP address
(warning).
invoke-rc.d: initscript pve-cluster, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing pve-cluster (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 255
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pve-manager:
pve-manager depends on pve-cluster (>= 1.0-29); however:
Package pve-cluster is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing pve-manager (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pve-firewall:
pve-firewall depends on pve-cluster; however:

dpkg: error processing pve-firewall (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of proxmox-ve-2.6.32:
proxmox-ve-2.6.32 depends on pve-manager; however:
Package pve-manager is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing proxmox-ve-2.6.32 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libpve-access-control:
libpve-access-control depends on pve-cluster; however:

dpkg: error processing libpve-access-control (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of qemu-server:
qemu-server depends on libpve-access-control; however:
Package libpve-access-control is not configured yet.
qemu-server depends on pve-cluster; however:
qemu-server depends on pve-firewall; however:
Package pve-firewall is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing qemu-server (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of redhat-cluster-pve:
redhat-cluster-pve depends on pve-cluster; however:

dpkg: error processing redhat-cluster-pve (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of vzctl:
vzctl depends on pve-cluster; however:

dpkg: error processing vzctl (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of librados2-perl:
librados2-perl depends on libpve-access-control; however:
Package libpve-access-control is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing librados2-perl (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of resource-agents-pve:
resource-agents-pve depends on redhat-cluster-pve; however:
Package redhat-cluster-pve is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing resource-agents-pve (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of fence-agents-pve:
fence-agents-pve depends on redhat-cluster-pve; however:

dpkg: error processing fence-agents-pve (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of clvm:
clvm depends on redhat-cluster-pve; however:

dpkg: error processing clvm (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libpve-storage-perl:
libpve-storage-perl depends on clvm; however:
Package clvm is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing libpve-storage-perl (--configure):
Errors were encountered while processing:
pve-cluster
pve-manager
pve-firewall
proxmox-ve-2.6.32
libpve-access-control
qemu-server
redhat-cluster-pve
vzctl
librados2-perl
resource-agents-pve
fence-agents-pve
clvm
libpve-storage-perl

I cannot connect to the web interface at https://server-ip-address:8006, and I can't make it any further in the install.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!