Help Moving from one Proxmox VE install to a new one.

eisteed

Jun 10, 2020
Hello everyone,
I had an installation of proxmox ve 6.1
Wanted to start fresh by installing proxmox ve 6.3 & backup server on a new SSD

I can't find an easy way to migrate my storage configuration & vms from the old install to the new install.
Here's my setup

250g SSD 1 -> proxmox ve 6.1
250g SSD 2 -> proxmox ve 6.3 + backup server
2x4TB HDD (ZFS) -> VM disk & backup.
1x1TB HDD (LVM) -> VM disk for testing purpose

I successfully imported my ZFS pool to the new install but qm rescan seems to not find anything else
What would be the best thing to do for this kind of migration ? Is there a way to export the whole config from the old Proxmox VE to the new one ? a bit lost.. thanks :)

Oh didn't know about that, thanks.
I guess I can copy the whole folder to the new installation of proxmox

Honestly, I never tried. Some things might be read only since this is actually a fuse mounted database. But you have nothing to lose. :)

I'll try it and post back here, but surely there's must be a cleaner way to do this

Well it worked easy ! :)

Just copied .cfg files and content of node/nodename folder into my new one.
Thank you for the tip !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!