[HELP] Join a node to a cluster with already running VMS and HA them

javierspn

Apr 15, 2023
New version, new hardware for me, new proxmox setup...

I have a running standalone node. I have bought another exact copy of the model and specs and will plug into both new, larger, faster Nvme + SSD disks.

1. Boot disk - close to 500GB, SSD.
2. Data disk 1 - 500GB, Nvme.
3. Data disk 2 - 500GB, SSD.

I plan to build a Two node cluster with an external Qdevice for voting until in a couple of months I can afford a third node.

The idea is to replicate VMS with ZFS.

For the migration of VMS, once I receive the first node and set proxmox up, I plan to move all VMS to the new node and then reinstall the original node and join it to the cluster with new disks and new installation. My idea is to move all VMS to the new node to local storage, reinstall the old node and then make a cluster of them and THEN move machines to ZFS storage.

old_node -> Move VMS to new_node local storage (Boot disk)
old_node -> Plug new disks, reinstall
new_node -> Create cluster.
old_node -> Join cluster.
cluster -> Add Qdevice, configure ZFS, etc.
new_node -> Move VMs from local to ZFS storage and configure VM replicas in HA.

Is this possible?

Regards,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!