Help for hardware

groyk

May 22, 2020
Hi all

I am new to Proxmox.
I want to virtualize 3 centos servers and maybe one win10.

I think i will go for zfs filsystem.

I need arrount 2 tb space, and full mirroring of disks.

One of the VMS is used as fileserver for cad data, why i need ssd or sas 10k rpm.

I would like suggest for hardware.

Proxmox works on just about everything.
It seems your needs are fairly minimal.

Almost everything will work in your use case as you described it. If you add the SSD/SAS disks and ensure the CPU meets the demands of the VMs -- you're set.

I am thinking of this server.

Supermico MicroTower Server Mini ITX 1* 250W PSU

Supermicro MB X11SSV-Q

Intel Core i7-7700 - 4-core 3.60Ghz

Supermicro 2U Intel LGA 1150/1151/1155/1156 Active CPU cooler

2x 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Non-ECC Unbuffered SODIMM

2x Supermicro 3.5" to 2.5" HDD Adapter Tray in Gen 5.5 Tool-Less

2x Samsung SM863a SSD - 480GB SATA3 2.5" 3 DWPD

Server just ordered.

- ASRock Rack X470D4U2-2T
- Ryzen 7 - 3700x
- 2x32 gb UDIMM ECC Ram
- 3x Samsung PM883 SSD 960 GB (ZFS1 - For PROXMOX and 3VM's)
- 2x Seagate Exos 7E8 (Storage)

Now I am ready to start, but I am wondering Is it safe to run firewall as VM inside Proxmox, or should I buy hardware ex. https://www.netgate.com/solutions/pfsense/sg-1100.html as first point in the office?

I need to run intranet, mailserver, samba ect. And I need up to 5 VPN connections similar.

For ZFS: The more RAM the better so 64GB RAM looks like a good choice.

There are guides (however, a little old) for pfSense inside virtual machines on our wiki and in the pfSense docu.

Personally I preferred OPNSense over pfSense. The lack of BSD support for VirtIO networking hardware made me choose Untangle, though. Untangle has so far given me every feature I expected to use with OPNsense/pfSense but is a Linux distro, with full VirtIO support

I was thinking. When I install Pfsense or OPNsense, can I use " 1 x RJ45 Dedicated IPMI LAN port by RTL8211E" as 3 nic? Or should I buy separate.

I was thinking. When I install Pfsense or OPNsense, can I use " 1 x RJ45 Dedicated IPMI LAN port by RTL8211E" as 3 nic? Or should I buy separate.

IPMI is dedicated for the biios/uefi, it cannot be used by any os.

Just installed Proxmox at 3 ssd disks in raidz-1 and everything works fine.

3x Samsung PM883 SSD 960 GB

Just thinking. Are there any steps to do now to ensure not killing my disks?

Running with a 1700x 8 cores and 32GB of ram, a 1.13TB zfs pool built on 3 cheap ssd drives (2x sata, 1x nvme)
works great, but i think 64GB or even 48GB would be just right.

CPU is amazingly little in use, RAM is forced to run at 2666Mhz instead of 3200Mhz since upgrading to 32GB from 16GB.
Considering to add 3 or 2 1TB ssd for redundancy. Also add a UPS for safe shutdown on powerloss.

Server just ordered.

- ASRock Rack X470D4U2-2T
- Ryzen 7 - 3700x
- 2x32 gb UDIMM ECC Ram
- 3x Samsung PM883 SSD 960 GB (ZFS1 - For PROXMOX and 3VM's)
- 2x Seagate Exos 7E8 (Storage)

Now I am ready to start, but I am wondering Is it safe to run firewall as VM inside Proxmox, or should I buy hardware ex. https://www.netgate.com/solutions/pfsense/sg-1100.html as first point in the office?

I need to run intranet, mailserver, samba ect. And I need up to 5 VPN connections similar.

Very nice specs. Much more than you need for 5 VPN connections :)

Running a firewall in a vm is okay but if the VM server is in a highly sensitive area i would advise against it. Just because VM breakouts happen and if it takes the server down there is no more firewall. You could consider setting it up in high availability and load-balanced with 1 physical and 1 virtual firewall. PM me if you seek to hire help on this.

Thank you for your feedback, i am running local test right now. I the final solution i might install opnsense or pfsense in separate hardware, but have not decided yet.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!