HELP! Domain controller does not boot after restore

hanse

Jul 25, 2021
Hi all

I have a huge problem, as all my systems are currently down due to my domain controller giving issues. I have Zentyal installed as a VM. It was running fine until this morning. I needed to restore a backup (I make backups daily). After the restore and starting up the vm, the console window is completely blank. In the Summary tab I can see that the VM is apparently using 25% CPU space, 20.10MB of memory, some 550k diskIO in 2 spikes, but no network traffic. I tried an earlier backup from 3 days ago, same story. I am really worried as everything in my company is standing still now, due to this. The restore went without any errors.

How can I troubleshoot this? What can do? Can someone please help?

Code:
PVE Version: pve-manager/7.2-7/d0dd0e85 (running kernel: 5.15.39-3-pve)

root@dell:~# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/123.conf
agent: 1
boot: order=scsi0;ide2
cores: 2
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 4096
name: Zentyal
net0: e1000=CA:58:28:8B:22:1F,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-123-disk-0,size=50G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=f452fa59-6166-4edc-b5e0-bf07f0ac3c1f
sockets: 2
startup: order=3
vmgenid: 134c0940-ffd7-4736-bdd7-2bea5a30c853

EDIT: Rebooting Proxmox host did not help either.
TIA

Last edited:
Unfortunately its too late now, but you should never restore in-place if you dont have 100% certainty that your backup/restore procedure is bulletproof.
At this point, given your description we can only assume that your backups are not consistent. Given that your underlying VM OS is Ubuntu, I would install a fresh Ubuntu VM and attach the restored disk to it, so it can be checked/repaired or the data simply saved/transferred.
Its your choice where to invest your time: a) continue trying to troubleshoot recovery process and backup correctness b) attempting to salvage data c) reinstalling everything from scratch
This is also a type of situation (company down) where having a vendor support contract would come handy.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Unfortunately its too late now, but you should never restore in-place if you dont have 100% certainty that your backup/restore procedure is bulletproof.
At this point, given your description we can only assume that your backups are not consistent. Given that your underlying VM OS is Ubuntu, I would install a fresh Ubuntu VM and attach the restored disk to it, so it can be checked/repaired or the data simply saved/transferred.
Its your choice where to invest your time: a) continue trying to troubleshoot recovery process and backup correctness b) attempting to salvage data c) reinstalling everything from scratch
This is also a type of situation (company down) where having a vendor support contract would come handy.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
If the VM froze up, and upon reset will not boot from disk, you have no other choice than restoring in place. This backup method i have been using, has worked on 100's of occasions in the past, without issue or fail. So I did nothing different to what I have done in the past, with great success. But yeah, it is too late now, something on that disk of that machine got screwed up, and the screwed up stuff got backed up. Tried a restore disk, but that did not work either.

I ended up rebuilding and getting it over with.
Thanks for you reply.

If the VM froze up, and upon reset will not boot from disk, you have no other choice than restoring in place.
The PVE/PBS allows you to restore a backup to new VMID/location. Of course it requires extra space, but its a safer method for critical data.

Glad you got it resolved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!