help. Does proxmox cache emails?

bct

Jul 14, 2006
Saskatoon, SK
www.bct.cc
Hi there.
We are using Proxmox v2.1
We are hoping our proxmox server can help us out of a small pickle.

We had an Exchange server mistakenly bounce 49 emails saying 'unknown user', over a 26 hour period (this issue is now corrected).

I am hoping that Proxmox may have cached those bounced emails, so I can have them redelivered.

Is this the case? or have these email been completed removed from the Promox system.

If this is possible... where can I find the cached emails?

Thank you for your assistance.

Hi there.
We are using Proxmox v2.1
We are hoping our proxmox server can help us out of a small pickle.

We had an Exchange server mistakenly bounce 49 emails saying 'unknown user', over a 26 hour period (this issue is now corrected).

I am hoping that Proxmox may have cached those bounced emails, so I can have them redelivered.

Depends how the server rejected the messages. Error code 4xx or 5xx? If your server rejected the messages with 5xx codes the mails will be lost. Otherwise Proxmox automatically redelivers the mails.

Your mails will also be lost if your exchange server is configured to accept mails, and the discard them after sending a bounce message.

- Dietmar

Thank you for your response.
In this case, it seems neither exchange or proxmox is temporarily recording/keeping 'user unknown' emails.

Yes they were 5xx rejections:

262DC89AE: to=<xxxxxx@xxxxxx.com>,
relay=xx.xx.xx.xx[xx.xx.xx.xx]:25, delay=1221, delays=1216/0.06/0.01/5.3,
dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (host xx.xx.xx.xx[xx.xx.xx.xx] said: 550 5.1.1
User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command))

Thank you again.
Have a great day!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!