HDD won't go into standby on it's own + hdd state = unknown

andre85

Apr 16, 2024
Good morning,

I have a question regarding my Proxmox setup (I'm still fairly new this).
My small homeserver has 2 HDDs and 1 Nvme installed. The Nvme is used for the system as well as containers, whereas the purpose of the HDDs is a NAS.
I've created a mirrored ZFS pool with those 2 HDDs and it's working fine.

To improve the power consumption and because I'm not often using the NAS, I'm trying to get the HDDs into standby after 15min. To do so I've created a hdparm.conf and this is my setting:
Code:
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST12000VN0008-2YS101_ZV7033ZS {
        apm = 127
        spindown_time = 120
}

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST12000NE0007-2GT116_ZJV01WPR {
        apm = 127
        spindown_time = 120
}

Now to my problem:
When I've built my setup, I was actually using the ata-ST12000VN0008-2YS101_ZV7033ZS (/dev/sda) device alongside a WD Red HDD (/dev/sdb). The WD Red showed an error during the monthly scrubbing (not sure if that's the correct term), so I've replace it with ata-ST12000NE0007-2GT116_ZJV01WPR (/dev/sdb).

Before I've replaced the WD Red, the WD Red didn't automatically go into standby. However when using hdparm -y /dev/sdb it went straight into standby and didn't come back, unless I was trying to access it. Additionally the state of the WD Red (hdparm -C /dev/sdb) often was unknown - until I manually sent it to standby.

Now that I've replaced the WD Red I have that same symptom for my /dev/sda and my /dev/sdb goes into standby with no problem.

This is how that looks:
Code:
root@homeserver:~# hdparm -C /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 drive state is:  unknown
root@homeserver:~# hdparm -C /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 drive state is:  standby
root@homeserver:~# hdparm -y /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 issuing standby command
 root@homeserver:~# hdparm -C /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 drive state is:  standby

Does anybody have an idea how to fix this, because it's quite annoying :)

Thank you!
André

Last edited:
My advice is: It's a server. Just let it run spun up 24/7 and check your power bill, it's easier on the drives and cost should be minimal. I have like 6-8 spinning drives running 24/7 and my electric has been under $100 for the past few months.

There are other things you can do for electric, like not keeping your refrigerator as cold, turning down your water heater temp, shutting off lights and converting to LED, unplugging laptops that aren't in use. Do a search on "Vampire appliances" and do things like dishwasher and laundry after 8pm or on weekends

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!