HDD not going to sleep in proxmox ve, but it does in some other systems

Cossty

Jun 22, 2024
I have external USB HDD passed to openmediavault vm. This is how power management is set up for that drive:
omvhddpm.png
And it works. When hdd is spinning it uses +-5.2w, led on the enclosure is on.
When it is in standby it uses +- 3.7w, led on enclosure is on
When it is sleeping it uses 0w, led on enclosure is very slowly blinking.

It works with my laptop (linux mint) too, without any configuration. After a while, it just goes to sleep.

I want to stop using this hdd in omv vm and use it on proxmox host with some mout points to couple lxc containers.
The problem is the hdd won't go to sleep in pve, without configuration it won't even go into standby.

I added this udev rule:
hdparmudevrule.png
I know it works, because without it the hdd won't even enter standby mode and is always spinning. Even with this rule, it never enters sleep mode though.

According to hdparm, the hdd doesnt support APM, only some Power Management feature set
hdparmB.png
hdparmI.png

Tried it in truenas vm, it has very similar web gui for hdd power management as omv, I set APM to 1 just like in omv, but it didnt work in truenas and never went to sleep.
How come it works in omv and mint then? It looks like omv doesn't even have hdparm installed, even though their web ui looks like it is using it
omvhdparm-B.png

How can I put this hdd to sleep in pve? I saw some mentions of hd-idle on omv forums, but from documentation it looks like it can only put hdds into stanby.

And in general, for a server, you want disks spinning 24/7. A single disk won't drive up your power bill. If you're worried about that, you can always switch to ssd

And in general, for a server, you want disks spinning 24/7. A single disk won't drive up your power bill. If you're worried about that, you can always switch to ssd
This HDD will be accessed max 2x a day, some days it won't be used at all, that's why a find it useless to go 24/7

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!