[SOLVED] Having problems with KVM, please help

dnc40085

Nov 22, 2013
Hi all,
I hope I'm posting this in the right sub-forum..... I recently downloaded Proxmox VE 3.1 and installed it on my spare computer (asus made compaq mobo
M2N68-LA(IVY8)bios rev 5.14, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2gb ddr2 5300), my CPU specs say that it supports AMD-VT but there is no option in my bios to
enable or disable virtualization...so i'm going on the assumption that it is enabled by default. I got it all installed and hooked up to my network and
checked the CPU info using the command(egrep '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo) and found the SVM tag, but when I uploaded an ISO to the proxmox machine and
tried to create a virtual machine and this is the result I get...

Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory
TASK ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 100 -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/100.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/100.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/100.pid -daemonize -name active7.1 -smp 'sockets=1,cores=1' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on' -vga std -no-hpet -cpu 'kvm64,hv_spinlocks=0xffff,+x2apic,+sep' -k en-us -m 1024 -cpuunits 1000 -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/template/iso/ActiveBootDisk_7.1.ISO,if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=native' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw,if=none,id=drive-ide0,format=raw,aio=native,cache=none' -device 'ide-hd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0,id=ide0,bootindex=100' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap100i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge'

Any help would be appreciated -device 'e1000,mac=FE:38:ED:B9:F2:0C,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -rtc 'driftfix=slew,base=localtime' -global 'kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard'' failed: exit code 1

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-dnc40085

Last edited:
- did you install pve from iso or on top of debian?
- which is output of
#uname -a ?

update:
anyway here (if it is that cpu)

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=102

it says "AMD Virtualization TechnologyNo"
AMD Virtualization TechnologyNo

Marco

Thanks for the super quick response.

I installed from a flash drive that I wrote the ISO proxmox-ve_3.1-93bf03d4-8.iso and I used SUSE imagewriter.exe to write the iso

this is my CPU (ADA3500IAA4CW) http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=88

the output of "uname -a" is: Linux proxmox-01 2.6.32-26-pve #1 SMP Mon Oct 14 08:22:20 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/LINUX (just realized I forgot to set the time after I replaced the battery, oops... hope that's not causing the problem)

I am for the most part a LINUX noob, I only know the basic stuff and one of the reasons I wanted to try proxmox is so I can try out some different linux distros without taxing my main machine through the use of VMWare workstation.

-dnc40085

Last edited:
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory

Fairly confident this means that the KVM module is not loaded in the kernel.
If it is not loaded the issue is that Virtualization is disabled.
Quite a few laptops/pc that have virtualization ready CPUs do not have the proper support in the BIOS, I suspect that is your problem.

Also, I believe that /proc/cpuinfo shows the abilities of the CPU which is not necessarly an indication that the feature is enabled in the BIOS.

Fairly confident this means that the KVM module is not loaded in the kernel.
If it is not loaded the issue is that Virtualization is disabled.
Quite a few laptops/pc that have virtualization ready CPUs do not have the proper support in the BIOS, I suspect that is your problem.

Also, I believe that /proc/cpuinfo shows the abilities of the CPU which is not necessarly an indication that the feature is enabled in the BIOS.

That's what I thought it was..... Oh well, I guess I'll just have to find a cheap mobo that supports virtulization......
Thank you for the confirmation.

Or, you could see if that BIOS is upgradeable (check before if the upgrade brings virt features control)
For your knowledge, once also happened to me that I switched on the virt features in BIOS, but they did not work until i actually plugged off the power cord... waited a bit and then plugged it back. And only then worked.

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!