Have I assigned my Nics correctly?

greavette

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2012
Hello,

I have 4 nics in my Proxmox Server. I've created two as bonded and left the other two as bridged with VMBR0 and VMBR1.

proxmox_nics.jpg

Have I done this correctly?

Thank you.

Thank you for the reply. The reason I ask is because I'm trying to assign my bonded nic to a VM, but the only options are the VMBR0 and VMBR1. Do I now assign a VMBR2 and select BOND0 as a way to assign my bonded nics to my VM?

Thank you.

Thank you for the reply. The reason I ask is because I'm trying to assign my bonded nic to a VM, but the only options are the VMBR0 and VMBR1. Do I now assign a VMBR2 and select BOND0 as a way to assign my bonded nics to my VM?

Thank you.
Hi,
What networks, and how much do you have?
Because of two things:
your bond insn't assigned to any bridge (only bridges are usable for VMs). But of course you can also use the bond for other things, like iSCSI traffic or for DRBD...
You define an IP also for vmbr1 - this is only nessesary, if the PVE-host (web-gui) should accessible from the network on vmbr1 and the routing to the IP of vmbr0 is not possible.

If you have tree networks it coold be something like this:

eth0 -> vmbr0 -> IP
eth1 + eth2 -> bond0
bond0 -> vmbr1 (without IP - it's enough if the VMs use an IP in this network)
eth3 -> vmbr2

BTW. your bridges can also called like the vlan-id like vmbr150 - only vmbr0 must be used for clustercommunication... (ok, can also done with eth0).

Udo

Hello,

We have 4 Nics in our Server. So would I use the following setup then:

eth0 -> vmbr0 -> IP
eth1 + eth2 -> bond0
eth3 -> vmbr1 -> IP
bond0 -> vmbr2 -> IP

And for VM's that I want to use the bonded IP's, I would assign vmbr2 to their nic?

All VM's are stored local on my server. We don't use storage attached to the server.

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!