Has anyone successfully imported Ruckus Cloudpath OVF into Proxmox

TadHitch

May 13, 2024
Hello all, I just built a cluster to replace VMWare and am very new to Proxmox, I have reviewed many online resources and have tried to import this multiple times from various how to's but I always get the same result. Import is all reported successful but the RAM size is some random number in exponent notation and cpu count is 24888, I fix all of the H/W parameters and it does boot but gets to a certain point and reports no vg_root and crashes out to dracut. I have tried booting and recovery mode and setup all parameters you would normally set on a VMWare import but after setup and rebooting it keeps coming back to this missing root vg error. Does any have a write up on importing the cloudpath OVF successfully to proxmox or some resource that could help me resolve this? TIA.

follow up - I loaded this OVF to my old VMWare cluster going through the normal setup until it was booting to a login prompt with no issues, then used the proxmox import tool to pull over the good and running VM. I am still getting this error when trying to boot it. I have tried all of the disk controllers etc., changed boot order settings and I just cannot get this thing to run on Proxmox, it boots in second on VMWare with no issues.

1722013727498.png

qm inportovf <file> <storage pool>

after import RAM and CPU setting will be garbage and no NIC will be present, set your memory and cpu counts for the expected deployment size.
add a NIC, set VLAN etc.

boot the VM and select rescue mode, this will run the cloudpath initialization the first time, set FQDN, ip, timezone etc.

reboot

highlight rescue mode again and hit e, change filesystem mode to RW, remove quiet and append init=/bin/bash

hit ctrl-x to boot modified rescue to shell

mount /boot
(if you missed RW above, mount -o rw,remount / )

edit /etc/default/grub - append net.ifnames=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX (based on old centos release, this will save you issue with networking eth0 vs ensxxx, first interface should come up as eth0 which this appliance expects), you can also remove quiet if you want to see boot messages. save changes and exit

rm -f /boot/initramfs-<version info>.img

dracut -f /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img (uname -r)

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

reboot

your should now be able to select normal boot and will come to login prompt on console and you should be able to access the web interface to enter license key and configure Cloudpath.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!