Hardware recommendations

markeczzz

Jul 1, 2024
Hello,

I am planning to migrate from oVirt to new Proxmox cluster and I i need hardware recommendations for storage.
Right now I have 2 Supermicro SYS-121C-TN2R servers with 2x 4410Y CPUs and 256GB of RAM with 10Gbps NIC interfaces connected to Synology NAS via iscsi.

Since this Synology is actually pretty old, I am planning to buy new storage system.

Any recommendations on what hardware should i buy? I am used to Synology, but as I can see, best setup for Proxmox shared storage would be ZFS over iSCSI and Synology is on BTRFS. I would use this Synology as secondary shared storage, but I need faster primary storage.

Should I buy another SAN? Which model? For start I need about 10TB of SSD (or nvme).
How much RAM do I need? What kind of CPU?

This is my current setu that was based on oVirt, I am planning to add more nodes.
For start, I can add one more less powerful node for qorum.

But I still want to know hardware recomendations for shared storage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!