Hardware recommendations for a Proxmox server

Dec 23, 2023
My goal is to run 2 Windows VMs and TrueNAS Core on Proxmox with a consumer-grade system. I prioritize good RAM capacity and performance. Can you suggest if Intel or AMD processors are better suited for this setup? Additionally, I plan to run Plex for media streaming on Truenas and Windows VMs which primarily handles lighter tasks like browsing and Microsoft Office applications. TrueNAS Core will function as my backup solution for mobile and Windows machine files. Additionally, if anyone knows how to setup all this please refer video or any post that helps.

TrueNAS Core on Proxmox with a consumer-grade system
Highly recommended not to buy everything consumer grade. At least buy ECC RAM, enterprise SSDs with PLP and CMR HDDs.

And think about PCIe slots, PCI passthrough and IOMMU groups before buying a platform. Not that you later realize that you don't understand how virtualization works and that performance won't be fun without buying a HBA card and two or three GPUs.

Last edited:
Highly recommended not to buy everything consumer grade. At least buy ECC RAM, enterprise SSDs with PLP and CMR HDDs.

And think about PCIe slots, PCI passthrough and IOMMU groups before buying a platform. Not that you later realize that you don't understand how virtualization works and that performance won't be fun without buying a HBA card and two or three GPUs.
can you suggest specific model number of products ?

ASRock Rack X570D4U
is a server motherboard with remote IPMI management and ECC support, but takes a regular Ryzen AM4 CPU. Good compromise. They’ve also more recently released B650D4U for latest gen AM5 Ryzen CPUs.

Edit: to add, if you go down that route, check recommended RAM on ASRock Racks web site and if possible get the exact make and model they recommend for guaranteed trouble free setup.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!