Hardware for Proxmox installation

oknet

Oct 13, 2022
Hi, just new to Proxmox
I'm looking for a bare metal HW in which install a production Proxmox environment.
I was thinking to something like a HP Gen10+ microserver with a pair of disks to be arranged into a raid1 array
Is it a suitable hardware ?
What about to use SSD for this application ?
Pros, cons ?

Thank you very much.

Hi, just new to Proxmox
I'm looking for a bare metal HW in which install a production Proxmox environment.
I was thinking to something like a HP Gen10+ microserver with a pair of disks to be arranged into a raid1 array
Is it a suitable hardware ?
You didn't gave us any workloads, so no one can estimate if that is powerful enough or not. What guests are you planning to run on it?
Usually you want as much RAM as possible, enough 3.5" and 2.5" slots to have all disks mirrored and in case you want to do anything that requires video playback/encoding/rendering/gaming you also want a mainboard with enough PCIe slot that supports PCI passthrough.
What about to use SSD for this application ?
Usually you want SSDs for your VM/LXC storage. And in case you want them in software raid1 (using ZFS), instead of a HW raid controller with cache and BBU, it would also be recommended to not cheap out on SSDs and get enterprise/datacenter grade SSDs.

Last edited:
I would use VE mainly for ip pbx, a spare copy of running VM and mirroring offered by raid1, without need for HW controller like ESXi
No great resources needed though, just to know if it’s feasible and running fine…

Is any machine capable of two disks (down to a mini-pc like NUCs with two sata or M2 slots) enough to setup a ZFS raid by Proxmox ??
Performances are of course another argument…

Yes, ZFS will run on nearly everything, but its recommended to...:
- use ECC RAM
- use only enterprise/datacenter grade SSDs with powerloss protection and a good amount of DWPD
- enough RAM (rule of thumb would be 2-4GB RAM + 0.25 to 1GB RAM per 1TB of raw storage) for caching
- not to use any SMR HDDs
- not use any HW raid (so a dumb HBA or the onboard chipset disk controller)
- have a UPS connected to your server

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!