Hardware compatibility WRX80 chipset

D

Deleted member 116138

Hi.

I‘m currently planning a new rackmount rig for PVE, based on a WRX80‑SU8‑IPMI from Gigabyte with a Threadripper Pro CPU.

Does anybody have further informations about the underlying WRX80 chipset and it‘s compatibility with PVE/Debian? I‘m already running a similar build on a Lenovo P620 but that is based on Windows.

Thanks in advance

The PVE kernel is based on the Ubuntu kernel, currently in version 5.11.
So if it runs on a typical 5.11 kernel, it should also run with PVE.

OK, thanks. I'll give it a try with PVE 7 and report back as soon as the hardware has arrived ;)

Until now everything works fine.

System consists of:

- 2x Samsung 860 Pro ZFS RAID1 for PVE
- 4x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME ZFS RAID10 for VMs (2x onboard, 2x PCIe 4.0 adapter)
- 128GB EEC RAM
- Threadripper Pro 3955WX
- Gigabyte WRX80-SU8-IPMI
- 4x Quadro P620 (PCIe pass-through for VMs)
- Hydro cooling, 19" Rack and HX1200 PSU
- PVE 7.0-10

I'm running 4 VMs (Windows Server 2019) on this with no performance issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until now everything works fine.

System consists of:

- 2x Samsung 860 Pro ZFS RAID1 for PVE
- 4x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME ZFS RAID10 for VMs (2x onboard, 2x PCIe 4.0 adapter)
- 128GB EEC RAM
- Threadripper Pro 3955WX
- Gigabyte WRX80-SU8-IPMI
- 4x Quadro P620 (PCIe pass-through for VMs)
- Hydro cooling, 19" Rack and HX1200 PSU
- PVE 7.0-10

I'm running 4 VMs (Windows Server 2019) on this with no performance issues.

I have an exact same setup except I have 2 Samsung 980 Pro NVME's only at the moment and Noctua cooler. I have no discreet GPU on PCI (using onboard VGA). I'm running a very barebones system to diagnose a spontaneous rebooting issue I was having for a couple of months that resembled MCE's except there were no errors in logs or on screen. The reboots would happen sometimes right at POST or after a few mins of Proxmox being up and sometimes it would run for a whole day without rebooting.
Out of frustration I took the machine back to the computer store to swap out bits of hardware. The system was tested with a power supply with higher power output and after that wasn't successful the memory was replaced but I still had rebooting issues. Lately the motherboard was replaced. I tested the new motherboard with windows 11 installed and left it for a couple of days playing a HD youtube video (this would eventually crash a linux distro via live usb). I also ran stress tests and memory checks. Not even one spontaneous reboot in windows.

So now I'm back running Proxmox 7 again with my fingers crossed.

Be sure to deactivate all acpi states in the BIOS. I had problems on all newer AMD chipsets with acpi (cpu) states enabled while running PVE. X570, TRX40, etc. And the RAM for the WRX80 should always be chosen from Gigabyte‘s QVL. Also take a look on how the RAM slots shall be filled in which order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pumpkinhead
Be sure to deactivate all acpi states in the BIOS. I had problems on all newer AMD chipsets with acpi (cpu) states enabled while running PVE. X570, TRX40, etc. And the RAM for the WRX80 should always be chosen from Gigabyte‘s QVL. Also take a look on how the RAM slots shall be filled in which order.
Thanks very very much for the tips! I have acpi completely turned off and memory in the correct slot order. So far 4 days later and no restarts. Looks promising! :)

UPDATE: I just want to clarify my findings a bit further here. I got a replacement Gigabyte WRX80 motherboard but began getting random restarts again in any Linux baremetal install and it gets worse with virtualisation operations. A Windows baremetal install works fine even with Virtualbox or Docker running VM's or containers.
Out of curiosity, I purchased an ASUS WRX80E-SAGE which is a direct replacement motherboard for the Gigabyte WRX80. Out-of-the-box I am not getting random restarts with Proxmox. I have been running the Asus motherboard for multiple days without any incident and using the same processor and ram etc as I did with the Gigabyte motherboard.
Clearly there's some issue with either the ram or my settings. I'm hoping someone can clarify if there are any boot flags or some changes to that order that enable a linux install to be aware of the hardware i.e. AMD specific boot flags etc.

I am unable to install proxmox on my ASUS WRX80E-SAGE.

I have already disabled secure boot and tpm as well as booting from MBR. I am on the latest bios version and still have problems.

Any help?

What exactly doesn’t work?

- fails to boot from USB?
- no drives found?
- installer finishes but OS doesn’t boot?

Thank you very much, but I solved the problem early this morning. The motherboard has several parameters that need to be configured before installing Proxmox or any Linux distribution.
Besides disabling secure boot, an essential item that can cause almost serious problems when enabled for multiple GPU installation, which in my case, there is the need to use VGA in the initial stages of linux installation.
I will write a guide to help our community ..

It is not working anymore.. after a frustrating attempt at my raid controller cards, the machine has burnt out and now I can't install any operating system. it won't continue. tpm, secure boot disabled. both via uefi and csm I experience the same problem of not being able to install.

1 - disable TPM
2 - disable the secure boot - removing all keys (yes, you need to delete all of them)
3- uefi enabled
4 - nvme formatted and initialized with gpt
5 - VGA enable and VGA monitor to following the boot
6 - start the proxmox installation

This is an older thread but I'm having similar issues with similar hardware.

ProxMox 7.3 ISO burned to USB via dd on Macos 13.1

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO WRX80 4U - 64 cores at 2.7 GHZ
Asus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI motherboard
8x Kingston DDR4-3200 64gb ECC RAM. (512gb total)
Samsung 990 Pro 1TB Gen4 M.2 SSD

I have done the following to the motherboard:
Disabled TPM
Deleted all of the keys and disabled secure boot
Enabled UEFI (also tried with set to 'Other OS' but no change in behavior)

The usb drive boots up and shows the installer menu. When I try to 'install' the install hangs immediately upon "loading initial ramdisk". I've tried 2 different usb keys with the same results. When installing with debug mode it hangs at the same place (which is basically instantly upon hitting the 'Install' button) and cntrl-D does nothing. The machine hangs until I manually reset it.

Other settings which are all still set to their default:

Launch CSM -> Disabled
AMD fTPM -> Firmware TPM
CPU Config SVM Mode -> Enabled
PCI Above 4G Decoding -> Enabled
Hot Plug Support -> Enabled

I was able to successfully install Ubuntu 22 LTS on it for testing. No issues at all there.

I have a VGA port that I use for the bios/install and the machine also has an RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 2X GPU in it as well as an Intel 10G ethernet adapter.

Any advice on what to try next?

Last edited:
This sounds strange, and I don't have a solution to the issues.
But as a workaround you could install Debian and PVE on top [0]. This is our recommended way whenever our installer doesn't work for whatever reason.

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye
Hi mira,

I've tried installing various debian installs up to and including 6.1 in the weekly build tree but they all fail. The boot menu loads up and I can navigate around through the menu but any time I choose any option i get a black box popup (maybe a menu is trying to load) that hangs the system. I have to manually reset the server at that point. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot? I'm happy to get a support contract if that would enable you to assist further.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!