Hardware compatibility with DELL server

JBL_AIME

Mar 18, 2021
Hi everyone,
We are planning to buy a Dell server and to use Proxmox to manage our VMs.
We have a choice between :
- an Intel Xeon based R740 server with a RAID H740p controller and
- an AMD EPYC (Rome) based R7525 server with a RAID H745 controller.

We would like to be sure that Proxmox will run fine with one or the other and I can't remove my doubts by looking on the web, especially for the AMD based machine.

Has anyone already used such hardware with Proxmox? Or can reassure us concerning these hardware?
Also, is there other pieces of equipment we should check out?

Many thanks for everything!

JBL

Hi,

We have a lots of R740 servers running without any issues (Intel and ADM based) .
In in more global way, we have been running lots of DELL servers from different generation with proxmox without any hardware issues.

Hi,
Thank you for this reassuring answer !
May I ask you if these servers have RAID H740p or H745 controller?

Only issue i have had with running and Dell R based servers is the Qlogic nics on install but doing the dummy setup gets around that then works fine.

Hi,

We have a lots of R740 servers running without any issues (Intel and ADM based) .
In in more global way, we have been running lots of DELL servers from different generation with proxmox without any hardware issues.
Which RAID cards do you use? Some Dell RAID cards don't offer HBA mode

As I said, our storages relies on externals Ceph clusters, so we doesn't use RAID cards with proxmox.
However, all our Ceph clusters are also Debians + DELL [R/M]7[2-4]0(xd) based with H7X0p or for some of theme H7X5.

We use lot's of DELL hardware and it's a very relyable stuffs !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!