Harddisk pass-through to several VMs

astrakid

Renowned Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi, I want to use a harddisk in several VMs (or in one VM and for proxmox itself). In general it is possible, but I get data inconsistencies. Is it possible to let the host do all I/O operations? or is there another way to tell a guest system to have a "physical" disc but writing data, that is not within a container? I have one large SSD where VMs and data is stored in parallel - the data is already there. backups are done often enough, so if the disc dies i can live with it. But I am not able to passthrough the disc to my VM (openmediavault) and keep the disc in a consistent state - after write operations by the VM i have a corrupt filesystem, which could be corrected by fsck.ext4 up to now, but I am afraid one day it will go wrong... Any other ideas? kind regards, astrakid

Hi, to share a disk between differents computesr, you need to use a cluster filesystem, like ocfs2 or gfs.

Which ClusterFS would you advise? which one is supported by proxmox?

kind regards,
astrakid

You could also mount that disk on one linux vm and make it share to other vm through nfs and the like...

Marco

Yes, that is possible, but due to the fact I have my VMs on this disk (as backup) as well, this is not possible...
I guess I have to redesign my architecture... Or need a third ssd...

Or i will find a working and supported cluster FS.

kind regards,
astrakid

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!