Hard Drive size completely confused

davidtj

Mar 17, 2020
Firstly I'm a total Newbie and ashamed to say I rely on Youtube to do most of what I've achieved in Proxmox. I am only a little familiar with the GUI and have no knowledge of Linux command line. The system I am running is literally just for a Home Assistant server.
I have a 250mb SSD in it and I'm concerned its filling up. I cant see the files or what is doing what however if I click on Disks and NVM it shows it at 93% Full with 23gib free.
What can I do? Please help!
Thanks

You need to use command line ("df -h", "ls -a", "cd" and so on) to browse through your folders.
You should try to learn atleast the basic linux commands or you are quite screwed because there is alot of stuff you can only do using CLI.

What storage type did you choose while installing proxmox?

Last edited:
Firstly really appreciate your help I am not certain what storage type I used as I followed an online guide. Could it be CIFS as below :

1606260089882.png

Storage View shows this:
1606260156969.png
1606260461697.png

Not sure if that tells you anything. But as you see its that final image that worries me.
Thanks

Attachments

• 1606260040880.png
    1606260040880.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 17
That looks fine to me. By default Proxmox will use the full drive except for 1/8 of the space or max 16GB. So that should be normal that your drive is 93% used. Some unpartitioned space is needed for LVM to be able to store snapshots.

The important part is the disk usage in the second picture. There is alot space free to use.
Your local-lvm is of type LVM-thin so you should ensure that every virtual SCSI controller has the "dicard" checkbox set and that you enable "trim" inside the VMs or your deleted files still will consume storage space.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidtj

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!