Hard Drive Fail

Isaac.maag

Jun 4, 2023
Hello. My hard drive failed which had the proxmox OS on it. I connected the hard drive to a windows computer and checked the smart values via cmd prompt and got the "Pred Fail" status. Is there a way I can transfer everything on this drive to another HDD? I can give more details as requested. I know if I cared enough I would have done two hard drives set up in a raid but I only have one in this little server of mine. It would not be the end of the world If I lost everything but I would prefer not to as I have spent some time working on a few VMS inside this drive. Thanks for the help!

Hi,
as a first step you will have to create a full disk clone to a reliable storage device. Every action on the old drive has the potential to increase data loss. There are tools such as ddrescue https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue, which are designed to read data out of failing disks.

Once you have a good disk image, you can start trying recovering data from there (or better from clones thereof, so you don't destroy data by trying to recover). There are plenty of resources to be found online on how to achieve this.

Also, it is highly recommended to setup regular backups for your important data, not just considering data integrity by e.g. RAID.

Best of luck!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!