Hard Disk Setup

rnormore

Jun 8, 2019
New to Proxmox and I am looking for some guidance. I have 4 SSD's. I would like to have one as the main boot drive and the other 3 combined as one drive so I can get maximum storage. Is this possible with Proxmox?

Thanks!

There are A LOT of ways you can set this up. The Proxmox Administration Guide is your friend here. You certainly can do what you asked. You can separate Proxmox into basically two parts - the system and the storage. You then have flexibility in both of these, and really need to read about the pros and cons of each. Personally I went with a ZFS install in UEFI mode for the system on a single drive. I have a local (on the same metal) zpool in a mirrored 2 drive storage for my VM's/Containers (this is overkill for a home lab in my opinion). I attach to a NAS for the high volume (media/photos) stuff and backups of my VMs/containers (which is why the local mirrored storage is over kill - restoring a VM from a backup is very easy and the downtime required in a home is no big deal). After a bit of research, you may find your current plan is not the best. The system is based on Debian and pretty small, so you may want to install on something other than one of your SSDs (a regular hard drive for example) and set your 4 SSDs into a Raid config (for either one big volume or one with some redundancy for data protection).

One recommendation I would make if this is a just a home install (not used for business) is to not worry about protecting the system installation with any sort of raid. It is very easy to bring that back from complete loss with just a couple of strategic backups. My second recommendation is to learn about ZFS...it is quite amazing in what you can do with it.

Good luck!

PVE itself will be fine with just 32GB of space for your boot / system drive. But you really want a HDD or SSD because a USB stick or SD card wouldn't last long. So if you got a fifth 2,5" slot I would buy a 120GB SSD as your system drive and use the 4 bigger SSDs as a raidz1 or a striped mirror.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!