Haproxy/acme on proxmox host or pfsense?

juju01

May 16, 2020
I am looking to use acme certificates with haproxy on my pfsense vm to offload /manage certificates on local clients - like my synology box. On a physical pfsense box, this is usually involves installing the acme and haproxy packages on pfsense.

Now, with my pfsense virtualized in proxmox, I am getting myself confused how this should be setup. Is it better to setup the letsencrypt certifcates / haproxy on the proxmox host and let it manage everything from there? or do it in pfsense? How are you guys doing this?

if I do it on the proxmox host:
  1. how do I get certifcates to pfsense (to use as pfsense's own internal certificate) ?
  2. how do i get the certificates to my synology box?

AFAICT this should be done on the VMs that need the certificates. AFAIK the Letsencrypt integration in PVE is for it's own certificates used for the GUI and API.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!