Hanging at "loading initial ramdisk"

nexi_5

Nov 3, 2023
every time I turn on the computer with Proxmox after a sudden power cut, the system loading hangs at "loading initial ramdisk". The only way is to hold the power button until it turns off. Then everything loads correctly. Sometimes I also get "watchdog: bug: soft lockup - cpu# stuck for Xs".
Thanks in advance

Hi nexi,

Welcome to the forums!
every time I turn on the computer with Proxmox after a sudden power cut, the system loading hangs at "loading initial ramdisk". The only way is to hold the power button until it turns off. Then everything loads correctly. Sometimes I also get "watchdog: bug: soft lockup - cpu# stuck for Xs".
Thanks in advance

That is a strange problem you have there. But no question and very little info to go by ;-)

Proxmox runs on Debian, which runs on Linux. The initial ramdisk is started before the actual Linux kernel runs, and is not Proxmox specific. I tell this, because you might find information on the wider internet.

I recall having had a computer (15? 20? more years? ago) that also only would boot on second try, but the memory is to vague to recollect any details. The machine was not rebooted often, I learned to live with it lacking more information about the error and not looking forward to reinstall.

If you try to get more help, have some things at hand:
  • Proxmox / kernel version
  • boot logs
  • RAM test result
  • fsck result
  • type/model of motherboard
  • type/model of storage
Good luck!

Hi comi,

Welcome to the forums!

same here.
is a very short description of your reason to post :)

Do you mean that you also have trouble with reliability of your power grid?

You can open new threads for free ;-) So if your problem is not the same, you could try starting a new thread (with some more background information) so that people can try to lend a hand!

Hi wbk, yeah sorry for that short one. It sounded similar but wasn't. I have read that too fast and wasn't focused enough. Sorry.

Hi wbk, yeah sorry for that short one. It sounded similar but wasn't. I have read that too fast and wasn't focused enough. Sorry.
Good luck troubleshooting, I'm sure you'll get help if you need it!

I was running into this issue trying to install 7.4, 8.0, and 8.1 and had luck reinstalling from the Terminal instead of the GUI... Good Luck!! :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!