HA with 2 nodes?

tag2800

Dec 2, 2015
Guys,

I got 2 same servers where proxmox ve4 is installed. My task is to live migrate VMdata between them and set primary/secondary mode, as one is dead the second will up. Is it possible with the latest version?

drbd wiki says that I need at least 3 nodes, but I don't have them.
Do I need to downgrade version to 3.4?

Thank you,

Last edited:
Or use a debian jessie desktop as 3-rd node.

consider glusterfs for shared storage. I found it easy to set up .

the 3-rd node could also be used for nfs backups.

Thank you for replies. Ok I'll probably use drbd8.

But what about the third node, does the third machine may stand in another network?

Im asking becouse I've planned to set an cross connection between these two nodes to acheive best network capacity..

@btw
I've also read that third one might be only shared disk for qorum - is it true? I mean, not a member in cluster but a kind of network disk like cifs.

Thank you

Last edited:
> Im asking becouse I've planned to set an cross connection between these two nodes to acheive best network capacity..

For drbd use a separate nic to direct connect the 2 nodes.

From what I understand:

For a PVE version 4 cluster three nodes are needed.

A 'shared disk for qorum' does not work on version 4 .

You could use version 3 and set up a two node cluster. Instructions should still be on the wiki.

I've 3 nodes simulated with VMs, the "storage ones" with 2 nics, and the fird node with only one nic. I've set their first interface on vmbr0 for cluster communication, and eth1 of only the 2 storage nodes on their own vmbr92, and seems to work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!