HA when node loses power

hanse

Jul 25, 2021
Hi everyone.

From all my research I could find that there are numerous posts already about HA. But I am probably too thick to understand what is going on "behind the scenes".

I have set up a three node cluster and HA seems to work perfectly if I reboot a Proxmox node via the GUI. The VMs successfully migrates off to another node, and as soon as the rebooted node is back up, it will restore the VM onto this node.

But here comes my question that I am struggling with:

If I simulate a node failure by rebooting the node via iLO/iDRAC/IPMI, the VM will lose connectivity for quite some time, before it is eventually migrated off to another node. Why does this happen? Is there somewhere I can set a sort of time-out to speed this process up so the downtime on the vm is lowered?

I tried reading up on fencing, but not sure if this is something that would solve my problem. If it indeed is, anyone here willing to ELI5 it to me so I can try and get this figured out?

I will appreciate any help I can get!

Regards

Hi everyone.

From all my research I could find that there are numerous posts already about HA. But I am probably too thick to understand what is going on "behind the scenes".

I have set up a three node cluster and HA seems to work perfectly if I reboot a Proxmox node via the GUI. The VMs successfully migrates off to another node, and as soon as the rebooted node is back up, it will restore the VM onto this node.

But here comes my question that I am struggling with:

If I simulate a node failure by rebooting the node via iLO/iDRAC/IPMI, the VM will lose connectivity for quite some time, before it is eventually migrated off to another node. Why does this happen? Is there somewhere I can set a sort of time-out to speed this process up so the downtime on the vm is lowered?

I tried reading up on fencing, but not sure if this is something that would solve my problem. If it indeed is, anyone here willing to ELI5 it to me so I can try and get this figured out?

I will appreciate any help I can get!

Regards
Found my own answer over at https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/shutdown-policy-failover.61987/

1667580615980.png

Reactions: alexskysilk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!