HA using iSCSI on SAN

mir

Famous Member
Apr 14, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi all,

I am bit confused since the recommendation for HA is either NAS/NFS or SAN/(iSCSI|FC). I understand the idea is that the PVE cluster must have a shared storage but how do you create a shared storage using iSCSI? Is it the intention to have the nodes share the same LUN without a cluster aware file system??

To the best of my knowledge sharing a LUN between different nodes is a dangerous setup given the fact that iSCSI does not support locking or is this something you can circumvent since pvecm ensures that a file will never be accessed by more than a single node at the time?

From studying the documentation as this forum it seems this is the way to go:
1) Create to dedicated LUN's on the SAN. (file IO or block IO??)
2) Add LVM on these LUN's
3) One LUN is configured from the web interface: disable 'use LUNs direcly' and add a shared LVM group
4) Use one LUN for KVM
5) Mount the second LUN under /var/lib/vz for CT's

Is the above all there is to it? !!

Thanks in advance.

Michael.

Hi all,

I am bit confused since the recommendation for HA is either NAS/NFS or SAN/(iSCSI|FC). I understand the idea is that the PVE cluster must have a shared storage but how do you create a shared storage using iSCSI? Is it the intention to have the nodes share the same LUN without a cluster aware file system??

To the best of my knowledge sharing a LUN between different nodes is a dangerous setup given the fact that iSCSI does not support locking or is this something you can circumvent since pvecm ensures that a file will never be accessed by more than a single node at the time?

From studying the documentation as this forum it seems this is the way to go:
1) Create to dedicated LUN's on the SAN. (file IO or block IO??)
2) Add LVM on these LUN's
3) One LUN is configured from the web interface: disable 'use LUNs direcly' and add a shared LVM group
4) Use one LUN for KVM
5) Mount the second LUN under /var/lib/vz for CT's

Is the above all there is to it? !!

Thanks in advance.

Michael.

read the documentation again and keep in mind that all the shared stuff applies only to KVM there is no openvz shared storage support

read the documentation again and keep in mind that all the shared stuff applies only to KVM there is no openvz shared storage support
But could you then create two or more LUN's and apply GFS2 on these LUN's mounting one LUN on each node?
But then the question, will PVE be able to use this setup for migrating CT's between the nodes?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!